Sleeps to much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
My Russian tortoise heidi is always sleeping and i have to take her from her hut to eat and when she eats she crawls back to the hut. she never walks around!!! is that normal?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Describe your setup. How big is the enclosure? What kind of lighting? Temperature? What are you feeding her? How is her appetite? How often do you soak her?

Thanks!

Patrick

Casey666

5 Year Member
Connecticut
Kerryann said:
I wouldn't think so. What temperatures are her warm and cool side in her cage?
the warm side is usually around 90 degrees im not so sure about the cold side i think its about 70 or 80

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Casey666 said:
the warm side is usually around 90 degrees im not so sure about the cold side i think its about 70 or 80

You need to know your temperatures a little more accurately. It is very important for your torts health. There are four temperatures you should be familiar with:

Basking- should be hottest point- you want this about 95*

Warm side- you want around 80*

Cool side - should be in 70's

Nighttime- for Russians this can be quite cool, probably cooler than your house is, so I wouldn't worry too much about this, unless your tort is sick, then you want to keep him/her warm at night as well.

The temps would be the first thing I would double check if my tortoise was sleeping all the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Casey:

Your tortoise would do much better in an outdoor habitat. Tortoises, especially steppe (russian) tortoises really need more activity than a tort table or aquarium has to offer.

Casey666

5 Year Member
Connecticut
Laurie said:
Casey666 said:

You need to know your temperatures a little more accurately. It is very important for your torts health. There are four temperatures you should be familiar with:

Basking- should be hottest point- you want this about 95*

Warm side- you want around 80*

Cool side - should be in 70's

Nighttime- for Russians this can be quite cool, probably cooler than your house is, so I wouldn't worry too much about this, unless your tort is sick, then you want to keep him/her warm at night as well.

The temps would be the first thing I would double check if my tortoise was sleeping all the time.
thank you! I'm am definitely going to get a new lamp because it doesn't provide much heat. That could be the problem. I will be sure to monitor the temp.

emysemys said:
Hi Casey:

Your tortoise would do much better in an outdoor habitat. Tortoises, especially steppe (russian) tortoises really need more activity than a tort table or aquarium has to offer.
i do take my tort out a lot and bring her outside

Status
Not open for further replies.