Sleeping

Rainey

Hi I have had boris for 6wks now he is 1 yr old, he was quite active at the start but now he sleeps a lot in the same spot under a plant. He becomes active about an hr before feeding, I feed him at the same time every day, then he goes back to sleep. Is this normal.

sbwalker5

Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
I also would like answers to this question.

I have a 7 month old marginated tortoise, who spends the majority of the time just sat or sleeping under the basking lamp. I know this is probably normal for a baby. Temperatures and humidity seem fine, and he eats plenty.

However there have also been a couple of days recently when I come home from work and he is still asleep in his hide, with no signs that he has been up at all (food untouched). I always turn his heat/UV light on at the same time every day. Is it advisable to physically wake him and lift him into the warmth and light? I did that this morning, and after waking and warming up, he seemed fine and went to feed for a bit.

Thanks

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
For both I'd like to know two things; what are your temps throughout the entire enclosure; basking spot, warm side, cool side, and humid hide? And how are you measuring these temps, analog dial gauge or digital gauge? This information will help get you the answers you need. Thanks.

Rainey

Hi
in middle of enclosure it usually 27-30c. at night drops to 23-24c basking spot. 31c Humidity 35, cooler area 21c Although since I posted first about his sleeping I have put in a daylight baking bulb 60 watt with his uv light as I was using the red heated bulb with his uv, now I use the red at night 60 watt. I have noticed he has been more active the last couple of days. Analogue checked it came with his enclosure.which is 3 ft.
Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I'm not sure about the temps, but since your tortoise is only a year old, you should try to increase the humidity. I don't know what species he is, but 35% is fairly low for most species, being that age.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Are you able to purchase a set of digital gauges? Typically, these are much more reliable at providing accurate readings.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is what Ken is talking about . Its only ten dollars.

Attachments

• 1392516900989.jpg
    1392516900989.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 38

Rainey

Hi
I will get a digital gauge, sorry I should have said his breed is horse field.
Have you any tips on getting the humidity up and keeping it up.
Thanks

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Putting a lid on part of your enclosure will bring the humidity up. Hang a damp towel over the enclosure will give some humidity also. Add moisture to your substrate.

Picking a substrate that holds moisture will also help. (Coco coir)