Sleeping all the time. .

Chelsey

Is it normal for my baby sulcata to sleep 80% of the day? I know closed eyes the majority of the time isn't a good sign, but is it ok since he's a hatchling? He still eats and drinks. New to raising a tortoise and need advice! Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Babiess do indeed sleep a lot. but what are your temperatures? Basking spot, cool side, warm side, and overall?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raise the temp to 80 all over day and night except the basking spot and raise the humidity to at least 80% all the time. As long as the humidity and temps are good you are soaking daily and he is eating and pooping, then most likely things are normal with his sleeping. They do sleep a lot.

Chelsey

Is there a better way to keep heat in? I have plexi glass under the screen. .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The screen and plexi are not allowing the beneficial UV rays to penetrate.

I would cut out holes for the lights and move them to the center of the aquarium. I would also give the baby two hiding places or some plastic plants to hide under. It's probably pretty stressful for the little one to not be able to get away from the glaring light. That might be why he 'sleeps all the time.'

Chelsey

The screen and plexi are not allowing the beneficial UV rays to penetrate.

I would cut out holes for the lights and move them to the center of the aquarium. I would also give the baby two hiding places or some plastic plants to hide under. It's probably pretty stressful for the little one to not be able to get away from the glaring light. That might be why he 'sleeps all the time.'

Where exactly would I cut out holes for the lights, the plexi glass? I'm worried if I put the lights too close to the substrate, it'll cause a fire. I have a log in there, I took it out to soak it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't have to lower the lights, just cut holes so the light can shine through without being inhibited by the screen and plexi. The fixture can still sit on top. I would have the holes in the center of the aquarium, not on the side like it is.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
You'd have to cut holes in the screen as well as in the plexiglass.
It shouldn't cause a fire but then again I'm not sure what your substrate is.
I think coco coir is mainly used for hatchlings as it holds humidity really well. But it shouldn't catch on fire either.
You're not putting the bulb on top of the substrate, you're still leaving it at the height it's at, just removing the two layers between it.

Chelsey

You'd have to cut holes in the screen as well as in the plexiglass.
It shouldn't cause a fire but then again I'm not sure what your substrate is.
I think coco coir is mainly used for hatchlings as it holds humidity really well. But it shouldn't catch on fire either.
You're not putting the bulb on top of the substrate, you're still leaving it at the height it's at, just removing the two layers between it.

My light stand finally came in the mail. would it be best to use the stand, and adjust the stand so the lights are about where they sat on top on the screen, and put plexi glass on the rest of the top?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Leaving the screen or the plexiglass between the light and your tortoise isn't going to work.
A light stand could work, but you'd still have to cut a hole in the plexiglass and the screen for the UV to reach your wee tort.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I think I read your post too fast. You meant leaving a gap for the lights and leaving the plexiglass around the rest of the areas?
That would be fine, but your lights should be in the center of your tank, so some plexiglass cutting would likely have to happen anyway.
Also, leaving gaps at the top will allow your humidity to escape so you still might have issues keeping the % up.
I would cut the lamp size instead of leaving gaps.

Chelsey

There wouldn't be any layer between the light and the cage. Like this. .

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chelsey

I think I read your post too fast. You meant leaving a gap for the lights and leaving the plexiglass around the rest of the areas?
That would be fine, but your lights should be in the center of your tank, so some plexiglass cutting would likely have to happen anyway.
Also, leaving gaps at the top will allow your humidity to escape so you still might have issues keeping the % up.
I would cut the lamp size instead of leaving gaps.

Yes, that's what I meant. Would it be better to get wood instead as a top cover? This plexi glass is becoming a major pain in the butt! I just want to make his enclosure right.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Whatever works to keep the humidity in.
Though if you find yourself having a hard time making the tank work, you might be better off building your own closed chamber.
That way you can house your light systems inside the enclosure, thus keeping your humidity up.
There's several great threads of designs people have made on the forum. You should just be able to search "closed chamber" and you'll find plenty.
But for the time being (or if you didn't want to build one) you can cut the plexiglass or get a piece of plywood and cut that too.
I would make sure to tinfoil the edge around where your light sits though, especially with the wood.