SICK RUSSIAN?!?!? Hibernation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My russian tortoise wont eat, and barley and resistance in his legs, he sleeps almost 24/7 and barley walks around, heres some pictures ImageUploadedByTortForum1378423550.605018.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378423616.724056.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378423659.420977.jpg , the one thing on his front leg isn't a cut, just a little dirt, his temputures are right, the one side is a little warm though, HELP!!! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Nikolai13 said:
My russian tortoise wont eat, and barley and resistance in his legs, he sleeps almost 24/7 and barley walks around, heres some pictures , the one thing on his front leg isn't a cut, just a little dirt, his temputures are right, the one side is a little warm though, HELP!!! Thanks
Your tortoise is not preparing to hibernate. Based on the what can be seen in the photos the limbs appear to be swollen. Can you post a few photos showing a better view of the soft skin areas of the rear legs/tail area and the front legs/neck area?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Please be very specific in answering the above questions, so we can help you.
Are you soaking him?

We need a lot more information.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
GBtortoises said:
Nikolai13 said:
My russian tortoise wont eat, and barley and resistance in his legs, he sleeps almost 24/7 and barley walks around, heres some pictures , the one thing on his front leg isn't a cut, just a little dirt, his temputures are right, the one side is a little warm though, HELP!!! Thanks
Your tortoise is not preparing to hibernate. Based on the what can be seen in the photos the limbs appear to be swollen. Can you post a few photos showing a better view of the soft skin areas of the rear legs/tail area and the front legs/neck area?

Ok, heres his back legs (very swollen) and his front legs ImageUploadedByTortForum1378561564.270651.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1378561587.982370.jpg

Laura said:
what kind of light, how many hours a day and what do you feed?

I dont know the light but i have the temperatures, 80 on the cool, and 100 on the warm, from 6am to 9pm, and i feed him mainly romain lettuce, carrots, and dandelions

lynnedit said:
Please be very specific in answering the above questions, so we can help you.
Are you soaking him?

We need a lot more information.

Yes i am soaking him, about twice a week seince hes not been eating

Last edited by a moderator:

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Something is definitely wrong. I suspect a filter organ problem (liver perhaps) that swelling is not typical. Soak everyday, even multiple times a day to help him stay hydrated and support the filter organs. He needs sunshine and you can soak him in bird vitamins to get him some quick vitamin support.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Swollen appendages are quite often a sign of a bacterial infection. Home remedies and soaking is not going to make it better. You should get the tortoise to a vet as soon as possible.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
kanalomele said:
Something is definitely wrong. I suspect a filter organ problem (liver perhaps) that swelling is not typical. Soak everyday, even multiple times a day to help him stay hydrated and support the filter organs. He needs sunshine and you can soak him in bird vitamins to get him some quick vitamin support.

Where could i get these "bird vitamins"

luvpetz27 said:
Does he get plenty of UBV(sun)?

Not natural sun, but he gets some from a UVB lamp

GBtortoises said:
Swollen appendages are quite often a sign of a bacterial infection. Home remedies and soaking is not going to make it better. You should get the tortoise to a vet as soon as possible.

Its a long drive to the nearest reptile vet, but were definitely gonna do it, thank you to everybody for the help

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I agree that a vet is a great idea. There are a few things that could be the issue. Bacterial infection and/or a filter organ issue are both on that list. Home remedies are valuable tools to support the tort while more help from the vet is sought. I was in no way suggesting that this could be remedied solely at home. I actually had typed that advice as well, but since I try to offer different insights and suggestions from other people I did not choose to include it. Quite often correcting husbandry and straightforward home style support are critical to a tortoise recovering. I refuse to accept that these things are without value in any and all cases of an ill tortoise. But it is only one part of the solution in many cases.

Water soluable vitamins are put into a birds drinking water quite often. When they are put into a tortoise soak it helps offer them a quick dose of vitamins and minerals that they may need if they have not been eating. They can usually be found at any local well supplied pet store.

Keeping him warmer than usual will help stimulate his own immune system. Getting him into the sunshine helps him create Vitamin D which he probably needs if he has not been in the sunshine and not eating. If he is given antibiotics he will absolutely need the extra hydration from the daily soakings.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
kanalomele said:
I agree that a vet is a great idea. There are a few things that could be the issue. Bacterial infection and/or a filter organ issue are both on that list. Home remedies are valuable tools to support the tort while more help from the vet is sought. I was in no way suggesting that this could be remedied solely at home. I actually had typed that advice as well, but since I try to offer different insights and suggestions from other people I did not choose to include it. Quite often correcting husbandry and straightforward home style support are critical to a tortoise recovering. I refuse to accept that these things are without value in any and all cases of an ill tortoise. But it is only one part of the solution in many cases.

Water soluable vitamins are put into a birds drinking water quite often. When they are put into a tortoise soak it helps offer them a quick dose of vitamins and minerals that they may need if they have not been eating. They can usually be found at any local well supplied pet store.

Keeping him warmer than usual will help stimulate his own immune system. Getting him into the sunshine helps him create Vitamin D which he probably needs if he has not been in the sunshine and not eating. If he is given antibiotics he will absolutely need the extra hydration from the daily soakings.

Ok, thank you very, very much for the help, I'm going to do these things until we get him to the vet, and probably even when we get back, once again, thank you

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
You are very welcome. Please keep us updated on his progress, and feel free to contact me if you have any further questions. My email is [email protected]

mikeh

5 Year Member
My box turtle developed swollen front legs she couldn't move or pull back when I tucked on them. She was hardly using them. All other symptoms were as yours. After a week of all this she also started to show hidden RI symptoms. It was concluded she had widely spread bacterial infection. Vet put her on Baytril injections. She started to get better in 6-7 days, had her legs back to normal use in 3weeks. Worth mentioning to your vet.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Hope he pulls thru! Keep us posted.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.