Sick RF?

Cberber

Hey everyone,
My RF is about 2 1/2.
For the last few days he has barely been eating and is not interested in his once favorite foods. He is soaked regularly, Temps and humidity are ideal.
He is also tending to be a bit jerky with his head, as in jerking his head to one side when I offer him food, or pulling his head inside to rub on either side of his shell. (More frequently than i deem normal) I've been all over him looking for any signs of something unusual, but nothing.
Would love any suggestions as I'm becoming a bit concerned. I appreciate all the feedback-am heading to work so will reply as soon as possible. Thanks everyone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The most frequent cause of not eating is that the tortoise isn't warm enough. They have to be able to get their inner core up to above 80F degrees or the food won't digest. If that's the case, they won't eat.

It sounds like he's trying to rub his eyes? ??? This might be a sign of a respiratory infection, but it could be lots of other things too.

We really can't say what's wrong with your tortoise. All I can suggest is for you to re-read the care sheet and then make any adjustments to your care, habitat, diet, etc. Mike Pingleton's book on RF tortoises is an excellent resource. We also have the Tortoise Library for your perusal.

Can we see some pictures of the tortoise and his habitat? Maybe if we can see these we can give you a better idea what might be wrong.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Have you changed anything at all?
Is anything different?
I would ALSO suggest bumping up the temps to the upper 80s. (I haven't a clue as to your current temps) and offer a warm soak.
No Redfoot can resist banana. Try some.
I wish you luck.

Cberber

Thanks guys!
He is an an 8 by 4 ft enclosure outside-80 degree Temps and high humidity (we're in South florida)
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. I have changed nothing with his habitat or diet. Will definitely offer him some banana! I also soak him everyday, he did drink today during his soak so at least that's a plus.
I appreciate the feedback