Sick Leopard tortoise?

kalkov

Location (City and/or State)
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Hi, yesterday I bought a Leopard tortoise. First time I'm having a tortoise, but lot of experience with other exotics.
Found water coming from her nose this morning. I'm guessing she is sick(respiratory problem).
Please give me some advice or links to read from.

Attached some images:
IMG_20140614_085036.jpg

Do you think her eyes are OK?
IMG_20140614_121111.jpg
IMG_20140614_121108.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Do the bubbles only appear during her bath? It looks like she is in water during that photo.

The eyes seem fine, that last photo was during a blink, yes?

Do you know how she was housed before coming to you?
How do you have her set up now that she is in your care?

Sometimes boosting the temps can help... but I'd like more info before giving specific advice.

yillt

Bubbles coming from the mouth mean they have eaten something poisonous. It may be something different. If it is that you just need to boost the temps and soak her. Keep an eye on her for the next 4-5 days if it gets any worse go to the vet. Look inside her mouth. Is there gooey yellow stuff. If there is this is mouth rot and needs to be treated immediately. Also the eyes look great. Not bad at all. :);)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As Heather said, if the bubbles only appear in the bath, normal. Eyes look fine. Is she making any sqeaky noises or is there bubbles when not in water? The answers to Heathers questions can help us more too.

kalkov

Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Do the bubbles only appear during her bath? It looks like she is in water during that photo.

She is not in water, it just looks like that. The picture with the bubbles is from the morning. Last bath was the previous day. She put her head underwater for long time. The bubbles appear after she hide her head inside the shell.

The eyes seem fine, that last photo was during a blink, yes?
Yes, a blink.

Do you know how she was housed before coming to you?
I guess not very well :( I know the person well, he is just a trader(not very careful about the animals)

How do you have her set up now that she is in your care?
Will post pictures later today. Will have some questions about the substrate. Don't have yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think there's anything to worry about yet. The tortoise might just have been dehydrated. Be sure to soak daily for about 15 minutes.