Should I trim my tortoise’s Nails?

Peng0630

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi, I am a relatively new tortoise owner and I have a young Russian Tortoise. I was wondering should I cut his nails? I did it once before with no problems since I thought long nails cause walking problems. I do have a slate in his enclosure that also functions as a food dish.

Attachments

• IMG_4225.jpeg
    IMG_4225.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4226.jpeg
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4227.jpeg
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    373.8 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't yet.

Overgrown nails and beaks indicate a husbandry problem. Could be diet, temperatures, UV, calcium, enclosures size, etc... Take a look at this thread and read through the temperate species care sheet near the bottom to see what you might need to adjust. Most of the care info found at pet stores and on the internet is all wrong, so even people who really mean well and try hard, end up doing the wrong things because they found the usual bad advice on what to do. This thread will help explain it all:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually tortoises don't need a nail trim. Their nails are not to be short like dogs.
Had all my tortoises since 2011 and never trimmed a nail.
Walking problems come from too small enclosures, wrong slippery substrate and poor diets.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi, I am a relatively new tortoise owner and I have a young Russian Tortoise. I was wondering should I cut his nails? I did it once before with no problems since I thought long nails cause walking problems. I do have a slate in his enclosure that also functions as a food dish.
I just wanted to say how much I love that third photo, especially with the ornament on the wall in the same pose !
I would only trim his nails if you can see he is having problems walking on a normal type of surface.
What is his name ?
Angie

Peng0630

Canada
I wouldn't yet.

Overgrown nails and beaks indicate a husbandry problem. Could be diet, temperatures, UV, calcium, enclosures size, etc... Take a look at this thread and read through the temperate species care sheet near the bottom to see what you might need to adjust. Most of the care info found at pet stores and on the internet is all wrong, so even people who really mean well and try hard, end up doing the wrong things because they found the usual bad advice on what to do. This thread will help explain it all:
Thank you! I read that care sheet before but maybe some things still need adjustments. He’s walking perfectly fine though so I’ll keep an eye on him.

Peng0630

Canada
Usually tortoises don't need a nail trim. Their nails are not to be short like dogs.
Had all my tortoises since 2011 and never trimmed a nail.
Walking problems come from too small enclosures, wrong slippery substrate and poor diets.
Thank you. He’s walking fine though so I’ll just keep an eye on him.

Peng0630

Canada
I just wanted to say how much I love that third photo, especially with the ornament on the wall in the same pose !
I would only trim his nails if you can see he is having problems walking on a normal type of surface.
What is his name ?
Angie
Thank you! His name is Clover since he really enjoyed the clover’s I feed him sometimes from my yard, but sometimes I call him Sir John Clover the Third.