Should I stop soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Hi. I recently posted that my russian tortoise had a smell. Well I stopped soaking him for a couple days & the smell is near gone. But when I soak him again he smells bad all over again. Should I stop soaking him? I haven't in a few days because I wasn't sure if that was a sign I should stop soaking.. & I noticed. He doesn't poop when I soak him like everyone else's tortoise does.. Is something wrong?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
You have an adult Russian, right? Over 4"?

IMO if you don't want to routinely soak you don't have to. I only soak my adults every now and then or when I will take weights and measurements. It's not that often. I do, however offer 3 water dishes and spray them down when I water their pen.
In your case, offer water at all times and maybe save the soaks for a time when you know you'll let it have some outdoors time. Soak before going outdoors so this "smell" can air out ;)

Sent from my VS840 4G using TortForum mobile app

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Does your tort have runny poos?
One of mine that has recently been wormed has softer poos and he is a bit stinky but he is a nightmare for standing in them and getting them on his plastron or hidden bits on his thigh area at either side of his tail. If he gets poopy I bath him, otherwise I bath him every 2-3 days and he is around 4years old.
Maybe your tort is farting in the bath!?

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
laney said:
Maybe your tort is farting in the bath!?

LOL- I have seen bubbles come from under my little ones shell. I wasnt sure if it was really happening or it was my imagination. I feel better now.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Teodora said:
I wasnt sure if it was really happening or it was my imagination. I feel better now.

Oh, all mine fart up a storm!

Now your "it was the tortoise!" excuse will really work ;) :p LOL

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I just got him from Florida Herps 2 weeks ago.... So could that explain it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If your tort has been mucking about in dirt/soil---when you submerge them in water you will likely smell that wet dog kinda smell....the CDTs all offer up that smell when they are submerged or hose ran over them....

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
If your tort has been mucking about in dirt/soil---when you submerge them in water you will likely smell that wet dog kinda smell....the CDTs all offer up that smell when they are submerged or hose ran over them....

Ohh!!! I've been freaking out all this time for nothing.!

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
My DTs toot in the bath (that's what the bubbles are from). I do their soaks outside for a variety of reasons, and this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.