weird smell

victoria nagel

recently I have noticed a bad smell coming from my red foot tortoise. kinda smells like poo but don't really know how to describe it, I have never noticed any smells from him before so what just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about. Also, he hasn't come out of his hide out much lately but when I take him out to walk around it seems like nothing is wrong.

update he just took a poop and it was dark green in colour and had the same smell as him but much stronger. I recently fed him his first hard boiled egg if that could some how to affect all this

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Not sure what your tort's case but mine used to eat each other's poo when they were babies and I had noticed their breath stinking of poo back then. It was pretty gross:) As for the poo color it often reflects their diet. Mine had it dark green couple times too but mostly it's just dark brown.

victoria nagel

update he just took a poop and it was dark green in colour and had the same smell as him but much stronger. I recently fed him his first hard boiled egg if that could some how affect all this
Not sure what your tort's case but mine used to eat each other's poo when they were babies and I had noticed their breath stinking of poo back then. It was pretty gross:) As for the poo color it often reflects their diet. Mine had it dark green couple times too but mostly it's just dark brown.

yes, i have seen him do that, haven't seen it recently but he might be when I'm not around. thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He may have some poop stuck up under his shell around the back legs and tail

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A long warm bath might help, it's always a good thing to do anyway on a regular basis.