Soaking Distress?

FredTV

Location (City and/or State)
VA
I try to soak my sulcate hatchling at least once a day for 20-30 minutes. It seems to me that my little tort hates being in the water. I keep the water nice and warm for the duration of the soak and he has enough room to move around so that he doesn't feel cramped. However, every single time I soak him he moves his limps rapidly in hopes of getting out some how. The walls of his soaking dish are way too high for him to climb over, but he doesn't seem to care. I'll take him out early if he defecates, but if not he will continue to struggle for the entire 20-30 min. I'm just concerned about whether or not soaking is causing him distress. Anyone's reassurance and advice is greatly appreciated! (I would really hate to stop his soaks bc his shell is growing so beautifully)

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
What is the temperature of the water? What feels nice and warm to us can be boiling hot to a tort.

Can he see out of his soaking tub? It might help to use a tub he can't look out of.

I sometimes feed my tort during his soaks, otherwise I lay the lid on top (with a little opening for air) and leave him alone. Usually he calms down at that moment. But it took him some time to get used to it!

Good luck!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's best to soak a tort first thing in the morning before he's properly warmed up. Straight after lights on is good. If you do it when he's had a full charge under the basking lamp then relaxing will be the last thing on his mind.

Use a high sided bowl, that he can't see through. The water should be warm, but not hot. If the water is too cold, your tort will want out. Too hot risks scalding.

He "should" be much more amenable to the soak like that.

If he poops in the water just fish the poop out or change the water. Don't worry if he eats the poop though... that's normal

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Maybe you can soak him in a larger container? One that he can't see over the top of. If he can see outside of the container but he can't physically get out of it, he'll get frustrated. Same concept as glass enclosures.

It's normal for torts to try and escape the soak tub, though. This is actually beneficial because it gets their legs moving, which stimulates their digestive organs and allows the poop to come out easy. I check the temp of the water by dipping my tort's legs in it before putting him in, if he starts thrashing a bit then it's too hot and he doesn't like it. Even if it feels like it's the perfect temperature, it may feel too hot to the tortoise.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Oops, we all said the same thing. :D Goes to show that we all agree, try a bigger soak tub!

M

Maggie Cummings

But nobody said to make sure the water is right on his bridge, that way he won't feel like he's drowning...Just a suggestion. All my torts love the morning warm soak....

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Right, he should be able to breathe without having to stand up. If he has to make an effort to get his head out of the water he will panic.

elzeri123

South Africa
If I may ask, when I soaked my baby leopard tortoise this morning he put his head in the water is that normal because he did it twice?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes. Joe chooses to put his head right under fairly frequently. The water is shallow enough for him not to have to do it.. He just does

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If I may ask, when I soaked my baby leopard tortoise this morning he put his head in the water is that normal because he did it twice?

Yes, completely normal...tortoise take in water/drink through their nostrils...so a tort that drops the head into the water is drinking...watch the neck on both sides and you will see it move as they gulp...

M

Maggie Cummings

Angela, you always just beat me to the same answer. I'm gonna have to get to type faster.....maybe talk instead of type like David.
How are you. I miss you not posting more like you used to. I got to make a road trip to South Texas and met Tortadise and Mike Taylor. Talk about an adventure.
My cat and I got to spend 6 hours in jail at the Texas Homeland Security inspection, cuz I couldn't prove my Sulcata and Box turtles weren't Texas tortoises.....hahaha. Hell, if I go to jail any more I'm gonna have a record and be considered a criminal....;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Angela, you always just beat me to the same answer. I'm gonna have to get to type faster.....maybe talk instead of type like David.
How are you. I miss you not posting more like you used to. I got to make a road trip to South Texas and met Tortadise and Mike Taylor. Talk about an adventure.
My cat and I got to spend 6 hours in jail at the Texas Homeland Security inspection, cuz I couldn't prove my Sulcata and Box turtles weren't Texas tortoises.....hahaha. Hell, if I go to jail any more I'm gonna have a record and be considered a criminal....;)

LOL....Hi Maggie!! I will count to 30 the next time I want to post.....:p All is good here, working a lot... I bet that trip was a blast! Terrible, 6 hours? How would anyone confuse a Sulcata and a Boxie for a Texan??? It must be the super intelligent Homeland Security Agents that would never let anything or anyone past them...lol...:rolleyes: I am happy to hear you all made it back home safely...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yes. They submerge their head and drink through their mouth plus through their nose.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I try to soak my sulcate hatchling at least once a day for 20-30 minutes. It seems to me that my little tort hates being in the water. I keep the water nice and warm for the duration of the soak and he has enough room to move around so that he doesn't feel cramped. However, every single time I soak him he moves his limps rapidly in hopes of getting out some how. The walls of his soaking dish are way too high for him to climb over, but he doesn't seem to care. I'll take him out early if he defecates, but if not he will continue to struggle for the entire 20-30 min. I'm just concerned about whether or not soaking is causing him distress. Anyone's reassurance and advice is greatly appreciated! (I would really hate to stop his soaks bc his shell is growing so beautifully)

If they were not started with soaks from day one, some of them take time to get used to it. Don't worry about it. All the movement is good exercise and it helps with digestion too. All of them get used to it. After a few weeks of daily soaks your baby will just sit there enjoying it.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
You're right, that shell is growing beautifully! Keep up with the soaks. Can't wait to see him get bigger.