Shell Rot?

mikeh

5 Year Member
What does the plastron look like? Plastron is typically effected the most.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Plastron looks healthy a free of any shell rot. It may not be shell rot on the carapace. Can you take a better focused picture on what you think are affected areas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'd hate to say it's not shell rot and then it turns out that it is, but it really just looks like hard water stain to me.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ya it really looks like water stain or even dirt. My one redfoot had the same but I scrubbed it off. But I don't want to be wrong.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Id give gentle scrubbing a go, but wouldn't scrub too hard as it may be a shell rot after all.

How long has it been like that? What is the habitat like?... Is the shell wet for prolonged periods of time?

rebeccalynn1208

Id give gentle scrubbing a go, but wouldn't scrub too hard as it may be a shell rot after all. How long has it been like that? What is the habitat like?... Is the shell wet for prolonged periods of time?

Ok habitat is warm end 80 degrees with 75% humidity. The ground is misted so it isn't soaked but on occasion is a little damp, the ground is a mixture of regular dirt and coconut substrate, with a little bit of spaghnum moss in the corners. The cool side is 60 degrees with humidity around 40-50%. The shell has been like that for maybe a month and a half now. The only reason I wasn't concerned was because a veterinarian made the comment that it is probably hard water stains but I wanted to check on here. The only time the shell is wet is when she sits in her water dish.

matt perl

So I bought a cherry head red foot last week
he is one month old and I'm wondering if he's developing shell rot
Any educated guesses or pointers would be helpful
I look forward to checking in on the forums for more discussions
Thanks all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46

mikeh

5 Year Member
View attachment 77223

Well I scrubbed and scrubbed but don't see much of a difference...
So it appears then it could be a shell rot. Wash the effected area with diluted betadine solution. Dilute till it has tea color consistency. Only rinse one time initially. Not to be used repeatedly. Make sure it doesnt get on torts mouth.
Then treat the effected area with antifungal cream daily for two weeks. Good luck. Keep us updated.

mikeh

5 Year Member
So I bought a cherry head red foot last week
he is one month old and I'm wondering if he's developing shell rot
Any educated guesses or pointers would be helpful
I look forward to checking in on the forums for more discussions
Thanks all
Yes, the tort has good amount of shell rot on the plastron and carapace. Threat same as in the post above. Make sure the substrate is not wet going forward. The humidity needs to be maintained high.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't see shell rot here...I see hard water build up.....you really want to be careful to "treat just incase" because you need to prep the enclosure for treating...you will need to reduce the humidity dramatically, you will want to let the substrate dry up for a while and you will want to remove the water dish during treatment (you do not want this tort soaking in the water dish and ingesting any of the cream as there are health risk associated with its ingestion) ..

I would suggest that daily you offer a warm water bath for this tort and use water that is not from the tap....use a soft toothbrush and gently scrub ONE side of the tort and keep track of the difference in appearance, the hard water lines will take a bit to remove...see what I see here is water build up on the shell and not damage coming from the shell out....

Please don't just do something "just because" when there are potential stress that can be put on the tort....also, I wonder why you have selected the vet you have chosen to care for the tortoise if you are not willing to take their observation as well???? I mean, if you trust the vet to care for the tort then why would you take the advice over the internet from folks who have not seen the torts shell IN PERSON as the vet has...and then the vets observation is hard water issue and not shell rot??? I am by no means a cheerlead for vets, by no means, but just curious :D