Shell rot??

IMG_1014.JPG IMG_1013.JPG I keep her substrate mostly dry but it can be hard sometimes because of keeping high humidity.
IMG_1012.JPG

If it is should I start with anti fungal cream. I've already done a betadine scrub months ago when I got her.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I'm not an expert on shell rot, but if in doubt an athlete's foot cream will do no harm and treat the problem.

Glomerulus

Kansas
The betadine would be done to kill the growth that is currently present. If I recall correctly, you would follow a two day treatment of the betadine with a chlorhexidine scrub for a few days, alongside an antifungal (-azole) cream. If you can confirm that it is shell rot, it would be wise to reapply the full treatment and move the tortoise to a hospital tank with a sterile substrate.

Is tissue sloughing off? If you use a soft bristle toothbrush you may be able to see if the platron has been compromised.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Shell rot is a fungus. It can only be killed off by an anti fungal product, e.g. Athlete's foot cream.

Betadine and chlorahexil are anti-bacterial and will do nothing for shell rot. They will only treated infected wounds. It is possible that there is secondary infection, but this does not look that severe.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
What you have is surface shell fungus. Treat now and as the tortoise grows the scaring will become less and less obvious.
As was mentioned, any general anti fungal cream will work. The cheaper generic brands work just as well as the more expensive ones.
To prevent a reoccurrence, keep the substrate fresh by replacing it often...especially where the tortoise hides or sleeps all the time. It isn't the humidity per se, but rather the urine and feces in the soil or other substrate that it's living on.

Glomerulus

Kansas
Shell rot is a fungus. It can only be killed off by an anti fungal product, e.g. Athlete's foot cream.

Betadine and chlorahexil are anti-bacterial and will do nothing for shell rot. They will only treated infected wounds. It is possible that there is secondary infection, but this does not look that severe.

Both solutions also exhibit anti fungal action, and would serve to decrease the likelihood of a secondary infection occurring. (Especially if damaged tissue is removed)

Just reiterating what I have seen suggested here and elsewhere. It seems to be well supported by evidence, but I am not a vet.

http://bjobeta.bmj.com/content/82/8/919.full
https://pink.pharmamedtechbi.com/PS007997/POVIDONEIODINE-10-ANTIFUNGAL-IS-CATEGORY-I

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Any further use of an antibiotic type solution will only serve to slow down regrowth of the tissue.
Clean once.
Treat with Athletes foot cream for 10 days or so.
The scarring will remain for much longer.
I use orchid bark with plain garden soil over it. A few inches each.
Pour water into the corners of your enclosure.
The orchid bark will absorb the liquid, giving off lots of humidity as it evaporates but leaving the top layer pretty dry.