Shell question

Fire_bug80

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I notice other shells on here are not dry looking, so am I supposed to put something on it periodically?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
3 things help....
1. Regular warm shallow soaks and a small soft toothbrush to clean the shell and claws. They drink whilst in the soak so that helps hydration.
2. Coconut oil on the shell I use kitchen paper to apply and avoid the face area.
2. Good diet and calcium for strong healthy shell, claws, beak and bones.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
The white is new growth but coconut oil will do the job and help moisturise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I notice other shells on here are not dry looking, so am I supposed to put something on it periodically?
You have hard water stains. You are letting mineralized water evaporate off the shell.

You don't need coconut oil. It won't hurt anything to use some, but you don't "need" it. What you need is to rinse the tortoise with water with no minerals in it after soaks. Use mineralized water for drinking and soaking, but then rinse it off after the soak with reverse osmosis water, distilled water, or collected rainwater. You can also use the demineralized water for spraying the whole enclosure, if that is something you do.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
You have hard water stains. You are letting mineralized water evaporate off the shell.

You don't need coconut oil. It won't hurt anything to use some, but you don't "need" it. What you need is to rinse the tortoise with water with no minerals in it after soaks. Use mineralized water for drinking and soaking, but then rinse it off after the soak with reverse osmosis water, distilled water, or collected rainwater. You can also use the demineralized water for spraying the whole enclosure, if that is something you do.
No I don’t. I’ve always used tap water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No I don’t. I’ve always used tap water
Tap water has minerals in it. When the water evaporates, it leaves the minerals behind and over time, enough minerals collect and become visible, as shown in your picture.

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Tap water has minerals in it. When the water evaporates, it leaves the minerals behind and over time, enough minerals collect and become visible, as shown in your picture.
So rinse with RO water after bath

Reactions: Tom

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Agree you do not have to use it but it has helped my tort shell.

Pák

Esztergom
Its a common thing, i use citric acid to get rid of the minerals. It reacts with the carbonates and breaks them into CO2 gas.
Here is a before after pic:

Attachments

• 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Fire_bug80

Arkansas
Its a common thing, i use citric acid to get rid of the minerals. It reacts with the carbonates and breaks them into CO2 gas.
Here is a before after pic:
That’s just from switching to non mineral water?