Sex of Sulcata

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sulphur, LA
Ummm.....is she a girl dragon? Or a boy dragon

5.5 years old. Was kept in a glass terrarium. No concave on plastron.

The reason I'm asking is because like many others I've seen on the forum, I saw a bit of pink flesh come out when she was pooping and I've never seen it before. I'd rather her be a boy than have something wrong with her. But she's my only girl, everyone one else in my house is a boy!Snapchat-323523404.jpgSnapchat-1268398620.jpgView attachment 36716220240301_144042.jpg20240301_163959.jpg

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Also when she was pooping it wasn't hard or anything it was kind of mushy

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
@Yvonne G
@Maggie3fan
@Tom

Maybe they can confirm.
She may be slow to mature yet, she is only 5. Is there any concaving on the bottom shell?
Also those disc temp and humidity gauges are junk and should be replaced with digital.
No concaving at all. Yes I'm looking for the digital thermometer and hygrometer with the probes. That and a mister.

Everything I look at has bad reviews. I've been looking for 4 days. I want it to be accurate. Suggestions are definitely welcome.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
No concaving at all. Yes I'm looking for the digital thermometer and hygrometer with the probes. That and a mister.

Everything I look at has bad reviews. I've been looking for 4 days. I want it to be accurate. Suggestions are definitely welcome.
I use digital indoor-outdoor wireless thermometers with humidity levels displayed on the base unit. Walmart carries the Acu-Rite brand. They work fine and are inexpensive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ummm.....is she a girl dragon? Or a boy dragon

5.5 years old. Was kept in a glass terrarium. No concave on plastron.

The reason I'm asking is because like many others I've seen on the forum, I saw a bit of pink flesh come out when she was pooping and I've never seen it before. I'd rather her be a boy than have something wrong with her. But she's my only girl, everyone one else in my house is a boy!View attachment 367164View attachment 367165View attachment 367162View attachment 367163View attachment 367167
That is a female tail.

What you may have seen was a prolapse. That is bad news. Are you soaking the tortoise regularly? Is it being housed, fed and kept properly warm now?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

No need for a mister, they can cause issues. Just wet the substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually, she is likely over 10 inches? If so, she should be living outside with a heated night box. If housing inside she needs a room size enclosure.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
That is a female tail.

What you may have seen was a prolapse. That is bad news. Are you soaking the tortoise regularly? Is it being housed, fed and kept properly warm now?
I'm having a hard time keeping the humidity up. Looking for a mister hopefully will have that in there soon. I'm constantly in there missing her and the inside of the enclosure.

The other thing is she doesn't really want to soak anymore. She used to like it but that was in the summer. I put her in the water and she is constantly trying to climb out... I don't know why.

Night is steady 80-82
Day is 90-94

She gets plenty of sun, she grazes on dandelions, clover. I grow her some grass. I was giving her bits of Apple and bits of carrot until I read that they don't process sugar so now she has zero of that. That stopped this past Sunday.

The only other thing that she has that's other than grass, weeds, and the grassland tortoise mash stuff is cactus and collard greens.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
No need for a mister, they can cause issues. Just wet the substrate.
I do wet the orchid for bark , it's just not holding for some reason.

I will absolutely do and try whatever. Just not sure exactly what.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
Actually, she is likely over 10 inches? If so, she should be living outside with a heated night box. If housing inside she needs a room size enclosure.
9.5 yep lol. Oh ok. We have a nice shed that is insulated and we are converting it for her. I will have to rethink what to do.

I'm going to look through the pictures of people's enclosures for examples.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

No, not by spraying but get it wet. Not floating in water wet but wet. Also it dries out a lot slower in a closed chamber. But I believe her size is that of a sully that should be living outside. Well she's not quite at the size yet. Another couple inches. If she's not in a closed enclosure, then try to close it off, no open top.

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
I use digital indoor-outdoor wireless thermometers with humidity levels displayed on the base unit. Walmart carries the Acu-Rite brand. They work fine and are inexpensive.

I will grab it tomorrow! Thank you!

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
No, not by spraying but get it wet. Not floating in water wet but wet. Also it dries out a lot slower in a closed chamber. But I believe her size is that of a sully that should be living outside. Well she's not quite at the size yet. Another couple inches. If she's not in a closed enclosure, then try to close it off, no open top.

Ok I will have to get her lights on the inside. I want to redo the whole thing. I'm going to go shop tomorrow for something way bigger. She has quite a bit of room in the laundry room. Made it tortoise safe. i have a tight woven carpet on the floor (not in this picture). This pic is before I installed her T5 H0 bulb. But yes top is open i guess still.

Attachments

• Enclosure (2).jpg
    Enclosure (2).jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its because you have an open top.

Your tortoise is ready to live outside full time with a proper heated shelter. Here are two night box examples that should work great in your climate:

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA
That is a female tail.

We have an Exotic Pet Veterinarian in our city. Should I bring her there asap?

ecachuh

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sulphur, LA

Your tortoise is ready to live outside full time with a proper heated shelter. Here are two night box examples that should work great in your climate:

Wow those are great! Thank you for those links!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Please clarify. I suggested her to live outside. But she's not over 10 inches. I remember before you suggesting like 11 or 12 inches before moving outside?
I honestly though can't remember if that was for Sulcatas or leopards.