Seeking new home for 2 Sulcatas

George Bevan Jr

Location (City and/or State)
NEW MEADOWS
Hi, I'm a new member, my wife and I have two sulcata tortoises, we bought them when they were 50 cent pieces size, Tankie is now 40 lbs and Guppy is 20 lbs. So far they have been indoors, they cruise around our deck in good weather here in the mountains of Idaho. My wife and I have decided to seek a new owner that will care for them as well as we have for the past 4 yrs. We are both 74 yrs old, we have no one to watch them, and my wife can no longer lift Tankie. Let me know if you are interested. They are in excellent health. Not sure of their gender but we're thinking Tankie is a boy and Guppy is a girl. Thanks, George

Attachments

• 20220725_121007.jpg
    20220725_121007.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hi George, I will keep my eyes open for anyone looking for sulcata's. I wish I had the room for them. I also know someone trying to rehome a sulcata from New York. If I had the room, I would take them all.

George Bevan Jr

NEW MEADOWS
Thanks very much Ray. We love our torts -- Tankie and Guppy (named by our grandkids when they went with us to check them out) -- but logistically we can't keep up with them. Thanks for the lookout for a suitable re-housing option. They've been together everyday since 5/27/2018. -- George

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises should never be in pairs specially sulcatas. The one is half the size because if being together. This is very stressful and bullying is going on
Seperate them and be sure the knew owners do not house them together.

George Bevan Jr

NEW MEADOWS
Thanks for the advice, these are our 1st tortoises, my grandmother had one in her backyard, we would always run thru the house to see him when we visited. Her tortoise was solo. Ours are best friends, early on, tank would steal gup's food, sometimes out of his mouth, so we've been cognizant of the issue. Gup was always 1/3 of the weight of tankie, except over the past, let's say 6-7 mos, gup has been coming into his own, and is now 1/2 the weight, and his shell is expanding. I think your point is valid. They sleep next to each other, and wake up to a beautiful view of our Meadow Valley here, and to snow during the winter season.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for the advice, these are our 1st tortoises, my grandmother had one in her backyard, we would always run thru the house to see him when we visited. Her tortoise was solo. Ours are best friends, early on, tank would steal gup's food, sometimes out of his mouth, so we've been cognizant of the issue. Gup was always 1/3 of the weight of tankie, except over the past, let's say 6-7 mos, gup has been coming into his own, and is now 1/2 the weight, and his shell is expanding. I think your point is valid. They sleep next to each other, and wake up to a beautiful view of our Meadow Valley here, and to snow during the winter season.
Yea those are all signs of bullying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi George:

Are you looking to sell the tortoises, or to adopt them? We have a 100 post rule here on the Forum pertaining to new members selling tortoises.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
George hello, You can post adoptions on Fauna Classified Reptiles. Might find a good soul to take them in.

George Bevan Jr

NEW MEADOWS
Hey, thanks Maddoggy, wasn't aware of that website, appreciate the lead. I'm having a hard time with the reality that Tankie and Gup are leaving. They are family to us, everyone on this Forum appreciates that tortoises are unique, lovable creatures....thanks again, George

George Bevan Jr

NEW MEADOWS
Hi Tuolumne, we have a daughter in Austin, so driving with the torts to Texas could be doable. What part of Texas are you located in? George

George Bevan Jr

NEW MEADOWS
Wow, what a coincidence! Here is my phone number, 208-230-4155, if you're interested in Tankie and Guppy, please call so we can chat about them and whether they'd be a good fit for your situation. Thanks for your reply. -- George Bevan Jr