Scared of the outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialK

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Schenectady NY
Since the weather has been warming up ive tried bringing my russian tortoise outside at least once a day. Today wouldve been the 4th or 5th consecutive day. It seems that when i bring him out he stays completely still in what seems like terror. He just kinda slowly looks around. When i go near him or put my hand out he hides in his shell and he is otherwise extremely friendly. This is his first time being outside, but im not sure if hes scared because is something new or something else? or is he actually not afraid and im being paranoid? Thanks for reading and trying to help

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I've noticed the same thing with Eloise....I got her at a petsmart so I know she must have been imported but freedom does not seem to be a concern of hers. she's shy and timid outside when I thought she'd try to run for the hills. I hope someone has answers for you as I'd like to know for myself as well.

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
It would be a good idea to place a few hides in your yard to see if that helps your tortoise to be more secure:)

SpecialK

5 Year Member
Schenectady NY
Well i put a large plant pot on its side half buried and even put him facing it. He stayed in it for a bit then turned around and slowly walked around for a while. Also, i work for petsmart and i also got mine from their. Im not in the petcare department, but im fairly certain all their reptiles are captive bred, as well as their birds and small animals.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Some tortoises are very cautious in a new setting. They have plenty of time, and can out wait their owners! Their main goal initially is to make sure the coast is clear, lol.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
SpecialK said:
Well i put a large plant pot on its side half buried and even put him facing it. He stayed in it for a bit then turned around and slowly walked around for a while. Also, i work for petsmart and i also got mine from their. Im not in the petcare department, but im fairly certain all their reptiles are captive bred, as well as their birds and small animals.

I can't speak for the origin of the other species but I can assure you that the Russian and Greek tortoises sold at Petsmart and Petco are most definitely wild caught animals.

The tortoise is not affraid to be outdoors it is being cautious in new surroundings which is a very instinctual reaction, especially for a wild caught tortoise. Captive born tortoise almost always have less initial fear and are quicker to come out of hiding. They have had a much different earlier life than wild caught animals have.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Tortoises are often territorial so when you put them into a new area they are going to be uncomfortable until they realize that they aren't in another tort's or another animals territory. It might take some time but eventually they should see it as their own and think "hey. I'm awesome because I have TWO homes" :D

At least this is what I've been told. This is also why most people don't house tortoises together unless its for breeding.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please read post number 13 in the first link of my signature.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
SpecialK said:
Since the weather has been warming up ive tried bringing my russian tortoise outside at least once a day. Today wouldve been the 4th or 5th consecutive day. It seems that when i bring him out he stays completely still in what seems like terror. He just kinda slowly looks around. When i go near him or put my hand out he hides in his shell and he is otherwise extremely friendly. This is his first time being outside, but im not sure if hes scared because is something new or something else? or is he actually not afraid and im being paranoid? Thanks for reading and trying to help

One thing I'm wondering about is temperature. My male Russian is bold, and my female Russian is shy, yet each at its own pace becomes active outside ... but only if the weather is good.

I know humans and tortoises alike tend to get spring fever this time of year. However, whereas wild and semi-wild tortoises know when to emerge from and return to their burrows, those of us keeping them indoors have to know when to take them out and bring them back in.

You didn't describe the weather exactly, so I don't know quite what it's like over there. But bear in mind that Russians do not emerge from their burrows unless the weather is sunny and not windy, and temperatures are at the very least in the high 60s (preferably in the 70s or 80s, with basking in the 90s to 100*F). I'm wondering if your guy only seems scared, but is really just too chilly to be active. It could be psychological, but make sure it's not physiological.

Tech13

5 Year Member
My Greek tortoise, Tech, is also from PetSmart, I asked if he was captive bred and the guy told me he was... But back to the main topic, Tech was cautious at first, then he began to explore, I've had him out twice this week when it was above 75 degrees F and sunny. The thing I am scared to death about is him grazing on a bad weed, is there a Pennsylvania good weed and flower guide out there so I can be sure he doesn't get sick?

I'm sorry, SpecialK, I should have started a new thread with the last part of my reply, I'm pretty new at this, hopefully you have the same question

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Tech13 - there is a good edible plants guide here: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/files/Booklet 2nd edition_March 2012.pdf and the page (thetortoisetable) has some other links with a wider variety of other edible plants. :)

Tech13 said:
My Greek tortoise, Tech, is also from PetSmart, I asked if he was captive bred and the guy told me he was... But back to the main topic, Tech was cautious at first, then he began to explore, I've had him out twice this week when it was above 75 degrees F and sunny. The thing I am scared to death about is him grazing on a bad weed, is there a Pennsylvania good weed and flower guide out there so I can be sure he doesn't get sick?

I'm sorry, SpecialK, I should have started a new thread with the last part of my reply, I'm pretty new at this, hopefully you have the same question

SpecialK, Petsmart gets their tortoises from a supplier who imports them. All employees are told that they are captive bred, but they aren't. If you look at a true captive bred tortoise vs a wild-caught one, the signs of wear and tear on the shell, slower growth (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), plastron wear etc. the differences are pretty obvious.
Our Petsmart now doesn't sell Russian tortoises any more, they have Greek tortoises - all imported.

SpecialK said:

Status
Not open for further replies.