Santa brought us a new family member! ;)

Maddie1201

Location (City and/or State)
North East Ohio
Hello, my name is Maddie. Nice to meet everyone! We are new members to the tortoise family. "Santa" recently gifted my son a Russian Tortoise for Christmas. Have been trying to find out everything I can on the little bugger. I'm assuming it is a he. Read that majority of males keep their tail tucked up under? If that is not correct, please correct me. He is about 5-6" in length. My son decided to name him "Grymm". Pretty original name coming from a 5 year old, if I do say so myself. The 5 year old gets to play with Grymm & we, my boyfriend & I, get to take care of him. Just wanted to stop by & say, "Hey".

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome to you and Grymm; would love to see pics of him and his enclosure.
The caresheets given above will help you keep him happy and healthy. The Beginners Mistakes thread (link below) is also great for learning from and for avoiding mistakes by others, the Enclosures thread also has lots of good ideas. if you can follow all advice offered as closely as possible your son should have a friend for life!

Maddie1201

North East Ohio
Right now we have him in a tub. We eventually want to make a table for him & an outside enclosure for the summer time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He is a lovely little tort and I hope you don't mind if I suggest a few things for his enclosure which will help you keep him happy and safe.
It is rather too small for him and he could do with a much bigger area to explore, with plants to hide under - a minimum of 4'x8' is usually recommended. I think the straw could be bit of a fire hazard in his enclosure and is too dry for a Russian. Check the Russian tort caresheet for recommended substrates, humidity and temps.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Also a cheap shallow terracotta plant saucer sunk level with the substrate and big enough for him to lie in would be easier and safer him to use for water. The one you have looks nice but it is quite steep and if he flips backwards when trying to get out he could drown.
I'm not sure from the pic if one of your bulbs is a coiled type. if so you need to remove it asap as these have been known to damage torts eyes and if ignored have very sad consequences.
Sorry if that seems a bit critical but it's all intended with your torts best interests at heart. I had a steep learning curve with my tort too but the changes I made as a result of advice here have really helped him.

Maddie1201

North East Ohio
Thanks! We have been following this guy on youtube. His channel is called "Camp Kenan" if anyone is interested in watching some of his videos. He has great info & is a tortoise expert as well. This is all a learning experience. I learn something new everyday! Lol you can never learn too much!

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Thanks! We have been following this guy on youtube. His channel is called "Camp Kenan" if anyone is interested in watching some of his videos. He has great info & is a tortoise expert as well. This is all a learning experience. I learn something new everyday! Lol you can never learn too much!
Lol I watched all of his videos in a day haha so interesting:D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
This is all a learning experience. I learn something new everyday! Lol you can never learn too much!
I don't think you ever stop learning with torts!!:)