Thank you for excepting us into your group.

Evan and Debbie

Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta
We have recently expanded our family to include a 3 year old Russian Tortoise. He is boy and his name is Ralph. (Named by our 12 year old son Evan) We have a dog Sophie and a cat Lilly. Both get along with our new addition. My husband and son built a tortoise table. Ralph loves hanging out in the kitchen so far and trying to bite my toes. Everything is great. Looking forward to learning and growing with Ralph

Maitaimommy

Hello and welcome:) I have a russian roughly the same age. His name is Maitai. Long, funny story how he was given that name. But it's fitting. This is a good place for things tort and turtle! Glad you're here:D:<3::tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please accept this criticism as constructive, and not being mean at all. It's really not a good idea to allow tortoises to be loose on the floor of the house. The worst thing that can happen, happened to one of our members whose young sulcata was roaming around on the floor. The member didn't realize the tortoise had his head between the back of the door and the door jamb, and she closed the door, squishing the tortoise's head. Besides that type of danger, he can pick up small items not meant to be eaten, and eat them. Tortoises need to be in their enclosure. If it is big enough and has a few sight barriers and interesting things for him to explore, there's no reason for him to not stay in there. (this also keeps him safe from the dog, even though you say the dog gets along with him. We've seen and heard many times how the dog chewed up the tortoise)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! Russians are the best. :)

Please do read the care sheets; they will give you and your tortoise a great start.

Another tidbit: you can't sex a Russian until they are 4-5 years old. Don't be surprised if you end up with a Ralphina!

Evan and Debbie

Calgary, Alberta
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please accept this criticism as constructive, and not being mean at all. It's really not a good idea to allow tortoises to be loose on the floor of the house. The worst thing that can happen, happened to one of our members whose young sulcata was roaming around on the floor. The member didn't realize the tortoise had his head between the back of the door and the door jamb, and she closed the door, squishing the tortoise's head. Besides that type of danger, he can pick up small items not meant to be eaten, and eat them. Tortoises need to be in their enclosure. If it is big enough and has a few sight barriers and interesting things for him to explore, there's no reason for him to not stay in there. (this also keeps him safe from the dog, even though you say the dog gets along with him. We've seen and heard many times how the dog chewed up the tortoise)

Maitaimommy

Mine may be a bit younger but I think I have a male too.

Attachments

• 20170813_002542.jpg
    20170813_002542.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5