Safe Silicon?

tortoisemonger889

I'm creating a small wading area for my tort and I was planning on making it water proof using silicon. On fish forums it says that this kind is safe for fish but I don't know if it would be safe for a tort.... It is GE type 1 silicon

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes that is the safe type Be sure it says 100% silicone, and be sure it dose NOT say anything about mold resistant - as that would mean chemicals. Funny how some can say 100% silicone but still be mold resistant!!

tortoisemonger889

Yes that is the safe type Be sure it says 100% silicone, and be sure it dose NOT say anything about mold resistant - as that would mean chemicals. Funny how some can say 100% silicone but still be mold resistant!!

Yep it says 100% silicone and nothing about mold resistance... It just has a terribly strong smell so that's why I was worried

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm creating a small wading area for my tort and I was planning on making it water proof using silicon. On fish forums it says that this kind is safe for fish but I don't know if it would be safe for a tort.... It is GE type 1 silicon
Just reread your original post. How are you using this? You're not coating the entire wading area with silicone are you? If so that probably would not be best as the silicone is meant to seal seams and edges, not an expanse.