Why linoleum isn't good for "digger" torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I spent today resealing my tort table. I kept a pair of russians in there for a year and they dug there way all the way through the linoleum and hit the wood in the corners. Now that I'm using it for my redfoots though, it's no longer waterproof and it needed to be fixed.

Here's some pics. Hopefully they help someone who is thinking about using linoleum in their enclosure at some time. I really like it with my redfoots. It's waterproof and goes on easily and looks nice. Plus, it really wasn't hard to fix either. I just cut patches of the extra linoleum to the size of the holes, and used silicon to put them in place. However, it's not quite robust enough for russian claws.

Enough talk...more pictures.
TortTableRepair001.jpg

TortTableRepair002.jpg

Please excuse the excessive silicon. I just wanted to be sure that it was watertight :p

I forgot to get pictures of the damage before, so I'll look around and see if I can find any and post those as well for comparision.

Here's one that shows the behavior that caused the damage. Looking at it I'm guessing that it's my fault for not giving them enough substrate. (only a couple inches)
DSCF0445.jpg

Aha, here they are.

DSCF0685.jpg

DSCF0684.jpg

DSCF0683.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe so, but I think you can be glad you hadn't used a shower curtain. The lino held out quite a bit longer. And its a pretty nice table too. Glad you were able to fix it.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
LOL that's some amazing damage. Bull headed aren't they?

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
Thank you for the warning! I was thinking about using linoleum as a liner too with my russians. Guess not. I wonder if a cement mixing pan would hold up... thinking it should...

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Cement mixing bins will hold up. I use those with my russians (sunk into the floor of the enclosure). Also, use FRP! It's fiber reinforced plastic, it's relatively inexpensive and easy to find. Cutting it takes some patience and care, but I will guarantee that the tortoises CANNOT destroy it like they can linoleum. Just go take a look at some for yourself. I use it in an enclosure with my red footed tortoise who had at one point began digging through the plywood wall of his old enclosure (in just one night he did enough damage that I realized within a couple of weeks he could hypothetically dig his way through the wall).

FRP is great stuff, and so are the cement mixing bins. Hypothetically, linoleum would work, but tortoises are tougher than most people think.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
A cement mixing bin would be plenty strong I'm sure. There are other options that would work as well, you just need to be creative. I still think that a tile-lined table, though heavy, would last a lifetime regardless of the tortoise inside.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
PeanutbuttER said:
A cement mixing bin would be plenty strong I'm sure. There are other options that would work as well, you just need to be creative. I still think that a tile-lined table, though heavy, would last a lifetime regardless of the tortoise inside.

I still vote FRP. It will be stronger than tile, cost much much less, and be much much much lighter. Silicone the corners and you could keep fish in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.