Rye relapsed RI

Status
Not open for further replies.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I just noticed that Rye is sick again runny nose and poor guy a nostril is plugged :(. I have extra baytril from our last visit should I give him that or should we take another visit to the vet?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Vet. I'm wondering if the Vog has any affect on tortoises. I know it does to people. Vog has a debilitating affect on me.

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
onarock said:
Laura said:
VOG?
Not sure what that is.

Its volcanic smog. O' de earth bowels, in case your french.

It's been pretty clear here, though. Or maybe I'm so used to it that I don't notice it as much. Rye's eating normally but I hate it when he's sick. Today is cold out so no outside time.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Hey Mel, I am so sorry to hear about Rye! Maybe you can call the vet and ask him/her over the phone.

I have not heard of vog, I think I will goggle it, do you get it alot?

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Torty Mom said:
Hey Mel, I am so sorry to hear about Rye! Maybe you can call the vet and ask him/her over the phone.

I have not heard of vog, I think I will goggle it, do you get it alot?

Hi Mary Anne,

Okay I will! We get a lot, Halemau'mau has been doing it for the past 2 years?

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Thanks Mary Anne...upping the temps helped! His nose isn't plugged anymore...yay!

Question....both Rye and Ryne haven't gained much weight. I weigh them weekly now and Rye stayed the same weight and Ryne dropped a pound. I feed them twice a day morning and night so I have no idea what's the problem. Any suggestions please

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
uilani104 said:
Thanks Mary Anne...upping the temps helped! His nose isn't plugged anymore...yay!

Question....both Rye and Ryne haven't gained much weight. I weigh them weekly now and Rye stayed the same weight and Ryne dropped a pound. I feed them twice a day morning and night so I have no idea what's the problem. Any suggestions please

Is the tank humid enough? (above 80%) Do you have UVB? What are the current temperatures? What's their current diet like?

uilani104

5 Year Member
Hawaii
tortoises101 said:
uilani104 said:

Is the tank humid enough? (above 80%) Do you have UVB? What are the current temperatures? What's their current diet like?

I think it's humid enough, it's 85% humid. Yes I have a UVB light current temp is 86 degrees. They eat spring mix morning and night. Once a week they have mazuri and they graze in yard if it's hot enough. THey won't be out in the yard today because it's a bit chilly. If they are in the yard they usually stay in their box for up to 6 hours.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
They need a basking area of 110F. 86F is a good temperature for the cool side of the enclosure, but definitely not adaquate for the basking temp.
You should also feed them timothy hay or Readigrass when fresh grass in unavailable, or grow some grass such as bermuda or wheatgrass in a pot. Grass and hay should consist of at least 75% of the diet. The remaining 25% should be weeds, flowers, and greens. Hibiscus, nasturtium, and gazanias are good flowers, and grape and mulberry leaves are also ideal. Recommended weeds are dandelions, clover, plantain (plantago), vetch, chicory, mallow, cat's ears, hawk's beards, and sowthistle. Spring mix can fed, but over-reliance will not ensure proper fibre and Mazuri isn't recommended weekly. If you must use Mazuri, use it no more than once every 2 weeks, and only in limited quantities. I haven't asked, but you should be supplementing? If not, use Nutrabol and calcium carbonate twice a week and provide a cuttlebone (without the hard backing) in the cage so the torts can munch on it when they feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.