RV at the vet

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Well, RVs gimp/limp came back. And as we were still concerned with the bleaching of her carapace, we made an appointment and took her to the vet. FIRST order of business was finding something big enough, and sturdy enough - that would withstand the 30ish mile round trip. So off to the big-box hardware store with much deliberation, measurements and thought, made our selection. Straw was laid down in the bottom for cushion and we got her into the conveyance..

to be continued...20230610_121152.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Damn! that's a pretty tortoise.

She's not under a light, is she? Almost looks like a too hot light is bleaching the shell.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Damn! that's a pretty tortoise.

She's not under a light, is she? Almost looks like a too hot light is bleaching the shell.
No light at all, even in winter. Shelter and shade (our Bermuda suffers for it). All I can think is the extreme UV sunlight here is causing it. 🥵

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We pulled RVs tote through the side yard to the Prius (the hatch being lower than that of the Subaru) and tried to lift her in. No go: our upper body strength not quite enough to lift past a certain height. We lifted and tipped just enough that the edge caught the deck .. and we slid her in. Thankfully the container had enough give as the entire way to the vet were the sounds of her thumping, trying to crawl out. Clearly, she was NOT amused.
And what was that smell? We arrived safely, filled out the required forms, were shown to a small examination room with a glass door. She was left in the tote while the tech asked the pertinent questions, and then went off to look for a scale. Upon her (eventual) return - they were busy - RV rang in short of 100#. The scale was then propped on its side to cover the glass so RV wouldnt try to walk through. Then we sat down to wait for the doc. Despite the closeness, RV proceeded to "explore" the room in tight circles and heartedly christened the place with copious amounts of pee and poo. RV: the gift that keeps on giving.

There was no ventilation... and it was warm.

20230610_135139.jpg20230610_141238.jpg
Mary was kind enough to pick up juicy solids, the rest was left for the clean-up crew.20230610_141440.jpg
to be continued...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HI MARY!!! HI RV's MOM!!! HI RV!!! {Tom waves...}

Due to the location and appearance, I would swear that the "bleaching" was due to a heat lamp or CHE. I wonder if a CHE or heat lamp did "damage" years ago, and the damage is just now working its way to the surface after years?

Interesting. I'd love to hear what the vet thinks. Hope the gimp gets better too.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
HI MARY!!! HI RV's MOM!!! HI RV!!! {Tom waves...}

Due to the location and appearance, I would swear that the "bleaching" was due to a heat lamp or CHE. I wonder if a CHE or heat lamp did "damage" years ago, and the damage is just now working its way to the surface after years?

Interesting. I'd love to hear what the vet thinks. Hope the gimp gets better too.
HI TOM!! 🖐There was a heat lamp when she was very small, but once she transitioned to outdoor tort there hasn't been one ~ just the great outdoors and pig mats in her hide. I hate to think that something done 20+ years ago cones back to harm her now. More in upcoming post.

And as always, RV sends her regards ❤️

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
The word at the vet was they'd not had a tort as large as RV come in for an exam (really?) They marveled at the travel tote (now the repository of garden/yard supplies). Marveled at RV. When the vet came in to examine RV, she marveled at the ease of which she could stroke and lightly palate the head, neck, and limbs - places most sully are coy about. With physical exam, the vet had determined RV looked in extremely fine shape (other than the gimp and bleaching). Eyes, ears, nose all healthy in appearance. She said the bleaching was bone (?) but offered no solution. As she couldn't quite get to the higher portion of the rear leg, we agreed to an x-ray. The lobby was empty and Mary was able to walk her across with the "HEY! YA WANT A CARROT?" routine.
After what seemed like a long time, they wheeled her back on a low trolly. The look on RVs face seemed one of wonder (fast fastfast!!). And then we waited while RV proceeded to again anoint the room with copious amounts of pee and more shetland pony size stool.

Synopsis for our visit: nothing showed up on x-ray, an anti-inflammatory in pill form was dispensed. No solution or answers for her carapace, so when I feed and offer her soaks (Mazuri LS arrived yesterday via CHEWEY), I'll shovel muck on her dome as she did when she was younger.VideoCapture_20230612-130559.jpgVideoCapture_20230612-130801.jpg20230610_145523.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm glad you had the X-ray and have now determined there's really nothing wrong with the leg. I'll bet it's just something like a pulled muscle. . . something that will get better with time.

However I must disagree with the vet's finding about the shell. That's NOT bone yet. It's the keratin that has been bleached out. If it were bone, you would not be able to still see the different ridges where growth in the past has taken place.

I say to get some sort of lubricant. Cold pressed coconut oil has been used with good results. Rub in the coconut oil, allow it to sit for 15 or 20 minutes then polish it off with a clean absorbent cloth. Do this daily for a week or so, then whenever you think it might be needed.