Russian tortoise with lesions behind ears

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
I just picked up a massive female Russian off Craigslist, she has raw puffy sores directly behind her ears. I am going to apply some Neosporin, is there anything else I can do?
What are these sores from?

Some pictures of the size of this female next to a paper plate and the enclosure she was kept in from her last owner.

66FF4919-1735-42FD-AFDC-00C25AEC3341.jpegA3518B63-3696-4D4A-A439-1175330D9383.jpegFBFA3D1C-3E53-4831-BAF7-F83479F65951.jpeg33B22B95-EF78-4191-BF3D-1A7E38EDD210.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what could have caused this. Was she kept with another tortoise that may have bitten her? If it were my tortoise I'd put on my magnifying helmet and under a bright light, I'd give that lesion a very close inspection, actually picking at the skin to see inside. If there are no worms (maggots) in there, then I'd just pick it all off and apply Neosporin.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I don't know what could have caused this. Was she kept with another tortoise that may have bitten her? If it were my tortoise I'd put on my magnifying helmet and under a bright light, I'd give that lesion a very close inspection, actually picking at the skin to see inside. If there are no worms (maggots) in there, then I'd just pick it all off and apply Neosporin.
She’s was still in the tank when I brought her home, and I noticed when she walks around she is constantly hitting her elbows to her neck because of how cramped the enclosure is.

I got a measurement on her and she is about eight inches long.

Rianne

The Villages, Florida
It could be ear infection or abscess. If so it may require antibiotics. A vet check is needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd get her into the right living conditions nd just keep an eye on the area.

Remember that Russians are notorious for carrying all sorts of diseases, so do a long quarantine. Don't risk the lives of your whole group. At least three months, and 6 months would be better.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I'd get her into the right living conditions nd just keep an eye on the area.

Remember that Russians are notorious for carrying all sorts of diseases, so do a long quarantine. Don't risk the lives of your whole group. At least three months, and 6 months would be better.
I have found out by the previous owner that she was kept constantly wet. The wounds were puffy and pieces of her skin would fall off if I touched them.

I have kept her on some dry bedding, the wounds have decreases in swelling and, scabbed over.