New tortoise owner, help please, red swollen sores

Location (City and/or State)
cleveland ohio
My girlfriend and I just got our boy Iroh 4-5 days ago. I already made another post about him not adjusting well/not eating at all. We got help on that and we are soaking him in warm water daily and changed up his diet to a store bought spring mix and we are going to start collecting natural weeds and plants. Anyway the problem we just noticed now is that he has some red sores that are swollen around his head/neck area. We have tried looking around but haven't found too much info so here I am posting pics hoping to get some help. We got him from a Petsmart (now knowing to never do that again from stories that I've heard) and they mentioned a 14 day warranty when I called them about the sores, but I really do not want to return him. We have grown attached and want to do everything we can for Iroh. PLEASE HELP!

ALSO
probably just me worrying more but how do you guys think his shell looks?

IMG_1030.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1032.jpg
    IMG_1032.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
His shell looks dry but that can just be from the way he was previously kept other than that the shell looks ok to me.

Those sores on the other hand look very painful and may be the reason it’s not eating. @Yvonne G will be able to help.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I just checked it your photos in your other thread and I believe you are using a coil type bulb for UVB?
If so, they are not good as they can cause serious eye issues for tortoises. That may be why it’s eyes looks swollen/sore

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My girlfriend and I just got our boy Iroh 4-5 days ago. I already made another post about him not adjusting well/not eating at all. We got help on that and we are soaking him in warm water daily and changed up his diet to a store bought spring mix and we are going to start collecting natural weeds and plants. Anyway the problem we just noticed now is that he has some red sores that are swollen around his head/neck area. We have tried looking around but haven't found too much info so here I am posting pics hoping to get some help. We got him from a Petsmart (now knowing to never do that again from stories that I've heard) and they mentioned a 14 day warranty when I called them about the sores, but I really do not want to return him. We have grown attached and want to do everything we can for Iroh. PLEASE HELP!

ALSO
probably just me worrying more but how do you guys think his shell looks?

May I see a pic of the tortoise enclosure...the walls and such? I suspect that this tortoise is rubbing against the enclosure and/or neck rubbing repeatedly against the shell....causing rub sores....

cleveland ohio
May I see a pic of the tortoise enclosure...the walls and such? I suspect that this tortoise is rubbing against the enclosure and/or neck rubbing repeatedly against the shell....causing rub sores....
If you look in my other thread/post I posted pictures of the enclosure

cleveland ohio
I just checked it your photos in your other thread and I believe you are using a coil type bulb for UVB?
If so, they are not good as they can cause serious eye issues for tortoises. That may be why it’s eyes looks swollen/sore
Do you have any recommendations for bulbs? This was the one recommended to us from Petsmart :/ the more and more I learn I keep finding they gave us very wrong information

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

So when you bought the tort was it housed with other torts? Those marks look like rub marks and nothing more....that is a small space for a tort that believes the world is his to wander....I know ou said you are moving....so, there is that. When will you move? How soon until you offer a larger space?

cleveland ohio
Oh, and please don't get sensitive by my questions....just trying to offer another view :)
Don’t worry even if it is criticism that’s okay I’m here to learn after all I am new to this! :) but actually he was the only little guy in the store and his tank was the same width maybe a little longer but definitely not by much. I’m moving into my new apartment within the next two weeks and I plan to build a 4x4 tort table as soon as I move in. And you’re sure they’re just rub marks?? They look like little cysts and I’m just worried it’s an infection.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Don’t worry even if it is criticism that’s okay I’m here to learn after all I am new to this! :) but actually he was the only little guy in the store and his tank was the same width maybe a little longer but definitely not by much. I’m moving into my new apartment within the next two weeks and I plan to build a 4x4 tort table as soon as I move in. And you’re sure they’re just rub marks?? They look like little cysts and I’m just worried it’s an infection.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Nope...I can not guarantee anything....nor can anyone simply by viewing pics.....BUT.....I ask questions to try to get a larger pic, you know what I mean? Usually pet stores have a pack of them in an enclosure....and perhaps he was the last man down...and then you scored/rescued him....these guys in the pet stores are more times than not wild caught..so they are in shock and then are stuffed into an enclosure that is super too small, too crowded and not at all well set up for long term care, so to compare their pet shop horror set up with what they really need is a no contest....so, I would get this trooper set up asap in a larger area....I looked as some of the pics and would like to know what lighting you are using now....you are not using the uv bulbs that are the u shape are you...if you are, replace it now...they do not offer a steady and reliable source of uva/uvb ...but rather can put off intense rays randomly...the U shaped bulbs are not designed to be pointed "AT" the tort in the hood fixtures, but they don't explain that..those could be bulb burns, those marks could be rub spots....? How close in inches is the end of that bulb to the top of the tort...sounds trivial but super important....

cleveland ohio
Nope...I can not guarantee anything....nor can anyone simply by viewing pics.....BUT.....I ask questions to try to get a larger pic, you know what I mean? Usually pet stores have a pack of them in an enclosure....and perhaps he was the last man down...and then you scored/rescued him....these guys in the pet stores are more times than not wild caught..so they are in shock and then are stuffed into an enclosure that is super too small, too crowded and not at all well set up for long term care, so to compare their pet shop horror set up with what they really need is a no contest....so, I would get this trooper set up asap in a larger area....I looked as some of the pics and would like to know what lighting you are using now....you are not using the uv bulbs that are the u shape are you...if you are, replace it now...they do not offer a steady and reliable source of uva/uvb ...but rather can put off intense rays randomly...the U shaped bulbs are not designed to be pointed "AT" the tort in the hood fixtures, but they don't explain that..those could be bulb burns, those marks could be rub spots....? How close in inches is the end of that bulb to the top of the tort...sounds trivial but super important....
Yeah I’ve already been told my bulb is a problem it’s a coil type (again recommended by the store :/) what specific bulb/brand would you recommend that could be pointed down directly? And right now I’d say it’s abour 8-10 inches from his shell right now.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah I’ve already been told my bulb is a problem it’s a coil type (again recommended by the store :/) what specific bulb/brand would you recommend that could be pointed down directly? And right now I’d say it’s abour 8-10 inches from his shell right now.

You can offer up a Mercury Vapor Bulb (they are costly but in the end worth it, unless you can bring the tort to the natural sun at least a few times a week for 15 to 30 minutes, must have shade though to keep form overheating) which run about 45.00 to 100.00 dollars...but they are all inclusive....pretty important if the tort is going to be inside 100% of the time....they are a sensitive bulb, so lets say you turn it on and the off again straight away, it will need about 10 minutes before it will come back on....they are sensitive to abrupt hits...so there is that also...

The problem with the U bulbs or the coil bulbs is that they are designed to be in a horizontal fixture that radiates, well sideways and not in pointing position that occurs when in a dome hood...they can put off random levels of uv rays and can be harmful..so would suggest either get a new fixture to allow the bulb to be used properly (and no closer than 12 inches from the bulb to the top of the tort) or get a new bulb and return the u one????

I suspect that when you are not looking at the tort and you are away from view the tort is trying to scale that glass to try to venture off into a more natural setting....perhaps put some dark paper around then entire perimeter of the glass (outside) to block the tort view of the rest of the world and see if that helps to deter the desire to go...I do not know if the tort has ever been seen trying to climb the glass walls or not, but I suspect at some point that is possible....I also would run your finger around the edge of the tortoise shell surrounding the head area to see if there are any rough/less than smooth edges and if yes, then gently take a ladies emery board and gently smooth out the roughness.....really get in the tortoise life and see what is going on...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Also, do you soak the tort in clean warm water soaks? If no, perhaps you do a couple times per week to start....you can also flush the irritated areas with clean water with a squeeze bottle....the trick is to keep the irritated areas clean and clear form any bacterial issue while healing....

cleveland ohio
You can offer up a Mercury Vapor Bulb (they are costly but in the end worth it, unless you can bring the tort to the natural sun at least a few times a week for 15 to 30 minutes, must have shade though to keep form overheating) which run about 45.00 to 100.00 dollars...but they are all inclusive....pretty important if the tort is going to be inside 100% of the time....they are a sensitive bulb, so lets say you turn it on and the off again straight away, it will need about 10 minutes before it will come back on....they are sensitive to abrupt hits...so there is that also...

The problem with the U bulbs or the coil bulbs is that they are designed to be in a horizontal fixture that radiates, well sideways and not in pointing position that occurs when in a dome hood...they can put off random levels of uv rays and can be harmful..so would suggest either get a new fixture to allow the bulb to be used properly (and no closer than 12 inches from the bulb to the top of the tort) or get a new bulb and return the u one????

I suspect that when you are not looking at the tort and you are away from view the tort is trying to scale that glass to try to venture off into a more natural setting....perhaps put some dark paper around then entire perimeter of the glass (outside) to block the tort view of the rest of the world and see if that helps to deter the desire to go...I do not know if the tort has ever been seen trying to climb the glass walls or not, but I suspect at some point that is possible....I also would run your finger around the edge of the tortoise shell surrounding the head area to see if there are any rough/less than smooth edges and if yes, then gently take a ladies emery board and gently smooth out the roughness.....really get in the tortoise life and see what is going on...

Thank you so much this has actually been extremely helpful and very comforting! It’s nearly 4am here and honestly I’ve been up all night worrying about him. It’s been truly upsetting to think about :/ hopefully these changes will make things better for him!