russian tortoise treats

lskaife

what kind of food can i give my russian on occasion for a treat that is not in his normal diet?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tortoises don't need "treats". Just feed them a healthy diet with lots of variety every day. When you see what his favorites are, you con offer those as treats. Mine like gazania flowers and hibiscus.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree with hibiscus flowers.

W Shaw

Mine hates Hibiscus -- fresh, dried or reconstituted -- but thinks radicchio is the food of the gods. He also gets excited about fresh red clover flowers and they provide good enrichment as well, because it takes some time for him to pull all the petals off. I think his favorite thing ever was when we'd run the radicchio down to the big stem with a ping-pong ball size ball left on the top, I put it aside and then let him have the whole thing after a few days without radicchio. He spent the majority of the day rolling it around and chewing on the tough stem. Not something I'd do every day. Kinda felt like I was spoiling his appetite with cookies, but it was worth it for the amount of enrichment it provided.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
hate hibiscus? Sorry I don't believe that for a second.

W Shaw

hate hibiscus? Sorry I don't believe that for a second.

The university greenhouse gave me a couple of fresh blossoms for him to try. He was willing to taste it but quickly dropped it and used his hands to get the rest out of his mouth. I offered it multiple times but he would never touch it again. He has this thing he does... probably others do it as well. When he really hates something being offered, he covers his face with his elbows and than hits at it with one hand like, "GET THAT OUT OF MY FACE!" Then I found a big bag of dried hibiscus at a mexican grocery and thought I'd give it a try that way. Maybe the dried wouldn't be so sour. Wouldn't touch that either. Tried reconstituting it. It looked kind of interesting (the weird shape, I think) and he actually approached it and looked it over. I don't think he recognized it as hibiscus. He took a tiny nibble from it, and immediately started trying to wipe the taste out of his mouth, just like the first time. Fortunately the tortoise at the university loves the stuff, so the big bag won't go to waste. He also won't eat cactus pads, which I'm told most Russians love.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
The university greenhouse gave me a couple of fresh blossoms for him to try. He was willing to taste it but quickly dropped it and used his hands to get the rest out of his mouth. I offered it multiple times but he would never touch it again. He has this thing he does... probably others do it as well. When he really hates something being offered, he covers his face with his elbows and than hits at it with one hand like, "GET THAT OUT OF MY FACE!" Then I found a big bag of dried hibiscus at a mexican grocery and thought I'd give it a try that way. Maybe the dried wouldn't be so sour. Wouldn't touch that either. Tried reconstituting it. It looked kind of interesting (the weird shape, I think) and he actually approached it and looked it over. I don't think he recognized it as hibiscus. He took a tiny nibble from it, and immediately started trying to wipe the taste out of his mouth, just like the first time. Fortunately the tortoise at the university loves the stuff, so the big bag won't go to waste. He also won't eat cactus pads, which I'm told most Russians love.
he probably tasted the peppery hibiscus flowers those don't taste good

W Shaw

he probably tasted the peppery hibiscus flowers those don't taste good

There are different kinds? The ones he tried are the ones the tortoise at the University loves. They grow them in the greenhouse for him. I don't know about the dried ones. Just spotted them on a grocery shelf and decided to try them out on him.

AnimalLady

My Russian wont even touch Hibiscus. His treat is Cactus. He loves the stuff and its good for him. OH! and Romaine lettuce, its like tort crack.

W Shaw

Tried cactus with mine for the first time two days ago. He walked over it. Stopped and thought about the fact that something wasn't familiar. Went back and nosed it, and took a tiny taste, did the yuck-tongue thing and moved on to the rest of his dinner. Very anticlimactic. I had been so excited to finally get some for him to try. So far the radicchio is the only thing he gets excited about. Last night he was starting to eat the wilted remains of his breakfast when I got home. I had just bought him a new salad mix. Hastily opened it and put a handful down to distract him from the wilted stuff. He was totally annoyed. Touched the new stuff. Hissed back into his shell. Repeated that a few times, then stomped all over it and went off into the corner to go to bed without dinner. I removed the whole plate and replaced it with radicchio and shredded zucchini, so he wouldn't go to bed hungry. He ate it but with a lot of agitated biting and jerking, apparently still unhappy about the fresh salad mix. I guess I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

W Shaw

My Russian wont even touch Hibiscus. His treat is Cactus. He loves the stuff and its good for him. OH! and Romaine lettuce, its like tort crack.

Bought some last night, on your recommendation, to try with my boy. It's in his breakfast, but he was still lazing in a nest when I left for work, so I have to wait until tonight to find out whether His Majesty has deigned to touch his royal tongue to it.

AnimalLady

Bought some last night, on your recommendation, to try with my boy. It's in his breakfast, but he was still lazing in a nest when I left for work, so I have to wait until tonight to find out whether His Majesty has deigned to touch his royal tongue to it.
Now i'm interested to see if he eats it! Update when you can! :D