Russian Tortoise Skin and Shell abnormal

John387

My Russian Tortoise has skin on top of his head that looks like it is peeling, do Russian Tortoise or Tortoise in general shed their skin like other reptiles, because that is want it look like? Plus his shell as if their are part of his shell that were chipped I question it didn't look right like there were parts of the shell missing there are only three place all together maybe the size of a dime I just notice it for the first time now I when I found him 2 years ago he didn't have and the vet said he looked great considering I found him. But now these chips appeared so I am not sure if it is okay or should I bring him to a vet?
Thanks for the help

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Yes. Tortoises do peel. They don't shed all at once like other reptiles.

A pic would help more experienced keepers diagnose if anything more serious is happening.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
All animals shed their skin, even you. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Torts can look downright tatty at times. It is completely normal. Don't be tempted to pull at it or pick it, it will rub off naturally over time.

Please do post pics of the shell and skin if you are concerned. It's the only way we can tell you if anything else is going on

John387

All animals shed their skin, even you. Snakes do it tidily all in one go. Torts can look downright tatty at times. It is completely normal. Don't be tempted to pull at it or pick it, it will rub off naturally over time.

Please do post pics of the shell and skin if you are concerned. It's the only way we can tell you if anything else is going on
I posted some pics of his shell hopefully they are good enough to see. And how long does it typically take to shed the skin