Russian tortoise shell

D Craig

We just got our first tortoise about a month ago. I am worried about the brown lines on his shell. I have posted a picture. I am not sure if it looked like this when we got him or if it has happened since. We have a UVB light in his tank. Not sure if light is the problem.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How close is the heat light? @Yvonne G may have a better idea. But I'm thinking maybe the heat source is too close or he's too dry.
Post a pic of the enclosure that will help us too.

D Craig

This is his new enclosure as of today. The uvb light is about the same distance as before. The enclosure was smaller before. There is no heat lamp. We live in southern California and it is always between 70 and 80 at our House should we soak him more? We do about 2x per week.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not sure why his shell looks like that. It almost looks like it has been cracked from a fall or something. But Yvonne will know more. Is that a mercury vapor bulb you have? If so it should be pointed straight down and be about 12 inches or so above your tortoises top shell. I would also add more hides and plants to your enclosure. And just as a sidenote, Russians love to walk the perimeter of the enclosure so he will continually be walking through his food bowl, I would place it more in the middle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's not from the light. It looks more like a squashing/stepped on/smashing/dropping injury. I would keep Neosporin on those cracks until they're dry and healed. You can first wash them off with a soft brush and Betadine, then after that, daily wash with Nolvesan. You can buy both those products at a pharmacy. Only use Betadine once, as it inhibits the growth of new white blood cells.

Just so you know, in case you already don't know, those lines are where the new growth comes in. So, the spaces between the scutes is a bit more tender than the hardened part of the shell.

Good luck. I hope it turns out ok.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
About the light. Those clamps are notorious for failing. It's best, and the light manufacturer recommends, that you hang the light so it's pointing straight down. Also, pointing straight down gives the tortoise a hot spot, or a place to warm up if he needs it. 70 or 80 isn't warm enough for him. 70 or 80 is good for the rest of the habitat, but he needs a spot that's about 100...just a spot, not the whole habitat.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
This is one of the two bulbs I use (I have a larger enclosure): Exo Terra Solar-Glo High Intensity Self-Ballasted Uv/Heat Mercury Vapor Lamp

It provides my Russian with UVB light and heat at the same time. They're available on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00101JIFG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Although if you're in California, you may want to consider an outdoor enclosure as well. No bulb can beat sunlight! :)

D Craig

He was never dropped our stepped on our any of those things. I can't figure it out. Thanks for the tips. I will try those things. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Do they usually heal well or should I be worried?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He was never dropped our stepped on our any of those things. I can't figure it out. Thanks for the tips. I will try those things. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. Do they usually heal well or should I be worried?
It should heal fine. My tortoise came to me with an old healed injury that the vet thinks it came from being crushed or stepped on. It was huge, went around half the shell right along the lines of growth lines.