Russian Tortoise Shell Wounds!

Benjamin13

Hello, Thank You for letting me join the group!

I have been searching all over the web for answers and decided to join the tortoise forum for help!

So a few weeks ago my Male tortoise took a fall and chipped the top of his shell from what I have learned it is a relatively minor injury but I would like to know how long it is going to take for his shell to heal back to normal?

Thanks in Advance!

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't look bad at all. I do know it takes quite some time. @Yvonne G might be able to give you and good estimate on time and what it might go through while healing.
Btw, Hello and Welcome:). Glad you found us.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Benjamin and welcome to the forum!

It's going to look like that for a very long time. It will turn white (that's the exposed bone, and that exposed part will die and lose its blood supply) Eventually, years from now, new keratin will grow UNDER that spot, and naturally it will be bigger than the dead part because 'dead' doesn't grow, and the white bone will be forced off. It will pop off. But resign yourself to seeing an imperfect shell for a very long time.

Benjamin13

Bummer I just have to remind myself that the shell doesn't matter it is what's in that shell that does! Thank You so much for your time!