russian tortoise question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zj16

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston TX
this is the 1st time I've seen her doing this so my question is why? is she about to lay eggs? Ive seen the male humping her but I didnt know it would be possible because the male is very small not even half her size.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Am I missing something? doing what?

zj16

5 Year Member
Houston TX
sorry trying to post pix but dont know why it wont post..

she bury herself

004-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, they like to burrow for various reasons: to feel secure, or to stay cool, etc. Sometimes they just like to burrow for a few days for no particular reason. If she has been eating normally, etc., then it may be nothing to worry about.

However, she may also be trying to get away from the male to avoid being harassed. If that is the case, she can hide constantly and become ill. It can be very difficult to keep a male and female together for this reason. Most keep 1 to 3 females, and in a much larger enclosure, even outside.

You may have to separate them if this is what is happening. If you do, and she is more active and not burying herself constantly, then you have your answer.

zj16

5 Year Member
Houston TX
thank you for the reply, I do have 1 male and 2 females I'll see if she always do this and if she does I will separate them.. and if they lays egg how would I know?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Status
Not open for further replies.