Russian tortoise help

Jordy Smith

I just got a Russian tortoise! Got him in a 43GL tank problem is he keep trying to dig through the glass Got an awesome set up but is there anyway I can prevent him from that ? Or is it just normal

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
I just got a Russian tortoise! Got him in a 43GL tank problem is he keep trying to dig through the glass Got an awesome set up but is there anyway I can prevent him from that ? Or is it just normal

woohoo :), congratulations on your new little one :). glass can stress torts as they do not understand it, and will try to barge through it :( a quick fix would be to stick some paper to the exterior of the tank. have you read the care sheets yet? happy tortin' :)

Jordy Smith

woohoo :), congratulations on your new little one :). glass can stress torts as they do not understand it, and will try to barge through it :( a quick fix would be to stick some paper to the exterior of the tank. have you read the care sheets yet? happy tortin' :)
I taped some paper up til I can get a wallpaper, thank you idk if I'm replying the correct way I am new here haha

Jordy Smith

Can anyone direct message me please , I have a few questions on my Russian tortoise I'm new here

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Mansfield Nottinghamshire United kingdom
View attachment 201784View attachment 201785
Which light is which ? UVB UVA I adopted my RT an he came with these lights I need to know and understand the difference. Thanks !
Hi Korey none of those lights look like a uvb to me u would be better using just a single lamp dome not the double and also get rid of the coloured bulb as this can cause ur tortoise to eat the substrate if u go to the main forum page and search down to the forum named tortoise enlosure and post ur thread in there u will get more responses and more help :)

Laura1412

5 Year Member
@Jordy Smith can you see the image I uploaded that's the main forum page and u can see the section which u need to put ur enclosure and question into so more people will view it as it will be a new thread as u av posted on mine which is old people don't really view mine now :)

Attachments

• IMG_0893.PNG
    IMG_0893.PNG
    428 KB · Views: 6

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Hi Korey none of those lights look like a uvb to me u would be better using just a single lamp dome not the double and also get rid of the coloured bulb as this can cause ur tortoise to eat the substrate if u go to the main forum page and search down to the forum named tortoise enlosure and post ur thread in there u will get more responses and more help :)
Sorry should say jordy smith not Korea iPhone keypad :mad:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi Jordy

It is better to post your questions on the thread so that you are not reliant on one person being around. We live all over the world and our hours are different and we all have real world lives as well as TFO ones :)

I will start you off with some reading matter that may help with some of your questions. These guides are written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

And if you have a very young tortoise, Baby Russian Tort Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Laura1412

5 Year Member
If that is a florescent tube in the hood that is possible ur uvb but with out a proper pic it's hard to tell

Laura1412

5 Year Member
Yes that is a uvb tube so if I was u I would just get a basking bulb and put in a single dome to use for you basking light then get a good thermometer to set the height of the bulb to ensure ur basking spot is 95f-100f I keep mine around 95f but did u see my other message about putting a new thread about ur enclosure in the forum page as u will get more help starting a new thread from others in the group

Jordy Smith

Yes that is a uvb tube so if I was u I would just get a basking bulb and put in a single dome to use for you basking light then get a good thermometer to set the height of the bulb to ensure ur basking spot is 95f-100f I keep mine around 95f but did u see my other message about putting a new thread about ur enclosure in the forum page as u will get more help starting a new thread from others in the group
Thank you very much but idk how to start my own thread anyway you can DM me with instructions

Jordy Smith

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489268035.518691.jpg
He went from sitting in a 43GL tank in an petco adoption room to this new set up , my questions is what are these lights ?? They came with him I need to know the difference I was also told the dual lamp isn't the best and the 'bar' tube bulb is the uvb should I just buy domes ? And new bulbs

Laura1412

5 Year Member
I just signed into my account on PC and figured it out , I was on Mobile Phone lol thanks !
Ok so have u seen the tortoise enclosure section in tortoise topics on main page if so click on tortoise enclosure and u will see post new thread put ur pics on and about ur enclosure people will be on to help u as they don't really read my thread now as it's old