Help with feeding

PenguinFan

We just got are first tortoise yesterday morning. . It is a Russian. . I'm a little concerned about it not eating. I bought tortoise pellets, dandelion leafs and collared greens(both organic). I moistened the pellets and mixed with chopped carrots and chopped leafs (both kinds). And he is still not interested. Seems he is spending most of his time trying to dig his way out. . It's only been about 24 hours. Is this normal? Am I feeding him wrong? Please help. .

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
If you have only had him a day I really wouldn't worry too much, he will be scared and worried, just leave him to settle but one of the more experienced forum members will be along to help soon :)

good luck with your new tort! Get some photos up! :)

PenguinFan

We just got are first tortoise yesterday morning. . It is a Russian. . I'm a little concerned about it not eating. I bought tortoise pellets, dandelion leafs and collared greens(both organic). I moistened the pellets and mixed with chopped carrots and chopped leafs (both kinds). And he is still not interested. Seems he is spending most of his time trying to dig his way out. . It's only been about 24 hours. Is this normal? Am I feeding him wrong? Please help. .

PenguinFan

For some reason I can't open those links on my phone. But I'll look it up when I get home. . Thank you

Delilah1623

I just had the same problem. He didn't eat or poop for almost 3 weeks! Make sure your humidity and temps are good and just give him time.

Also check to see what the pet store/prior owner was feeding. He might not realize what you're giving him is food if he was eating junk.

Also if you haven't already taken a fecal sample to the vet. He might have parasites if he is wild caught.

PenguinFan

I bought him from petsmart, a large chain pet store. . I called my wife just now and she said he has eaten half his food we put in there. . The temp in the habitat is at 82° and the humidity is at 55 .. so when I get home from my trip I'm going to have to fix that. . Thank you for the help.

Magilla504

Mine had done about the same thing when I first put them in their new home. They each adjusted at different paces. One took up to about 10 days before I noticed normal behavior, eating and excrements. I found that warm soaks seemed to help a ton! I guess it's like mom's chicken soup to us when we were sick :) So keep your temps good, a routine and get your guy out for some real sunshine! No need to worry yet
Jason

PenguinFan

I do soak him as soon as I got him home. . And I will continue soaking him on a regular basis. I'm glad I found this app to talk to you people. . Things like soaking then is something the pet store does not tell you about. .

Alaskamike

South Florida
Don't know what your enclosure is like ... But , I do know torts will pace and stay upset if they can see out but not get out. This is one reason aquariums don't work well.

Louise C

Edinburgh, Scotland
My Herman's didn't eat for about 36 hours after we got him, he just spent the whole of that time checking out his new enclosure and digging. I also found he didn't like his pellets mixed with greens, put them on separate plates and he has a little bit of each. If I mix them he sniffs and walks away. Maybe try leaving a few plates of different foods about his enclosure and he can pick and choose as he likes?

Magilla504

I know the pet stores in my area( petsmart, petco, etc) tell us that they do soaks at least weekly. I do not believe that they all do as I'm sure that it depends on the workers and their individual experience, compassion and care for the animals. We visit pet shops a lot since I have a five year old son and six year old daughter. I always ask a lot of questions just to kindly test their knowledge. In my area the petsmart pets seem to be well taken care of while petco pets seem less loved. I'm not at all saying that is every store though. Luckily for you, you found this forum! I thought I had my tortoise care down until I found everyone on here. Now I have learned a great amount about their behaviors, traits and techniques to fix certain problems. I would recommend to just be a student of tortoise care and keep up with reading the threads. Each tortoise have different personalities so it's nice to know different ways to meet their needs. People on here are awesome! Anytime you have a question just jump on here and ask.
Good luck ,
Jason

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Also, tortoises seem to be slowing down around this time of year due to weather, which might also be a cause of less eating.