Russian Tortoise Enclosure

Geeg

Hi guys, is there a specific type of wood I should be using when building an enclosure for my Russian Tortoise? Any specific type of wood I should AVOID???

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum @Geeg !

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread and the care sheet on Russian torts.

There are also threads on "Enclosures" which would answer your question.Sorry, cannot help you: am not a tort expert.

Give your tort a daily soak in warm water and make sure there's enough:

1) WARMTH

2) HUMIDITY

Any pics of your tort?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cedar is toxic

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
If you have the money PVC board is by far the most superior building material. It is resistant to mold, moisture, insects and weather. It can usually be found in 4*8 sheets at home depot.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
If you have the money PVC board is by far the most superior building material. It is resistant to mold, moisture, insects and weather. It can usually be found in 4*8 sheets at home depot.

Never saw this..how much for it?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Plywood is the best in my experience...light to carry around if needed...and you can get it in different thickness sizes...I used half in. For our 2 torts..if you have the space, go max 6x6 or atleast 5x4 if this is for indoors...

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
Never saw this..how much for it?

Interesting! Never heard of this material before! Very cool, that would save a liner too. Just caulk the joints and go!

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Interesting! Never heard of this material before! Very cool, that would save a liner too. Just caulk the joints and go!
Yupp exactly , its designed to be used on the exterior of houses so its pretty durable. Going forward everything i build will be from this stuff. At the HD near me it is pricy.. I believe 79$ per 4*8 sheet. But on the upside a lot of pvc board is warranted for 25 years so it should stand up over time with low maintenance.

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City
A sheet of normal 4x8 is $30-40 anyways so double the price for lifetime product isn't bad!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Yupp exactly , its designed to be used on the exterior of houses so its pretty durable. Going forward everything i build will be from this stuff. At the HD near me it is pricy.. I believe 79$ per 4*8 sheet. But on the upside a lot of pvc board is warranted for 25 years so it should stand up over time with low maintenance.

Excellent!! We are about to build a new home for our redfoot...ty!!