Building a new enclosure

Michellegallon

Hi I am looking to build a new enclosure, I am looking to build a double one and was wondering if I should use any specific wood or is mdf ok?

Brian Perry

Hi I am looking to build a new enclosure, I am looking to build a double one and was wondering if I should use any specific wood or is mdf ok?
I have built several indoor enclosures for my star tortoises over the years. Generally, I use an inexpensive grade of 3/4" plywood and always saturate all interior and exterior surfaces with epoxy. The enclosures I construct are approx. 5-6 feet in length and 36-38" in depth. The height is typically 24". I use a variety of 2x4s, 1x4s, etc., to hold everything together and lots of wood glue, supplemented with self-tapping screws. Given the untidy nature of tortoises and my preference for using potting soil topped off with orchard grass as a substrate, I think it's important to waterproof the structure with a liberal coating of epoxy.

Brian Perry

You can get it at TAP Plastic or on eBay. Wear gloves. Use it outdoors. Let it cure for at least one week before adding the torts. Your other alternative is polyurethane spray (Home Depot, etc), but this will not provide the abrasion resistance or waterproofing of epoxy. Still good and easier to apply, but nothing beats epoxy for durability. I will be starting a new enclosure in a month or so ...after the rain stops in N CA and will be posting step-by-step pics for the design that I like. Good luck.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Where are you located and what type tortoise and what age will you be housing? That makes a difference in the best answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where are you located and what type tortoise and what age will you be housing? That makes a difference in the best answer.

I don't know if things have changed since their initial post, but at that time they had a Hermanni and a Russian in the same enclosure. And they're in the U.K.

Michellegallon

I am in the UK. I live in Scotland. They are around 2 years old. They lives together for a year and then when I joined this forum was told to separate them, I did so. I am now looking to build a better enclouse. I was thinking if having a double enclosure

ethan508

Northern Utah
Avoid MDF and particle boards, they do not handle moisture well at all and are tougher to seal. Plyboard, OSB, or a good hardwood would be better.