Russian Tortoise Enclosure and Questions

Bush Wookiee

Hey everybody, here's my first attempt at a Russian tortoise enclosure. Do I have everything? Have I done anything wrong?
This will house a 4-5 inch tortoise, I am aware that I'll need to upgrade in the future, and that this is still a relatively small enclosure.

I'm using timothy hay on top of and around an aquarium ornament, for a burrow/hide.

The substrate is as close to a 50/50 topsoil/playsand as I could get. Walmart only had "premium" topsoil, it is made of composted organic materials from the area, so I don't believe there is anything harmful to a tortoise in it.

The cuttlebone is in place of calcium supplements, I hope he uses it because it will make life a little easier as far as supplementing calcium goes.

I do NOT have a UVB bulb, but plan on taking the tortoise outdoors regularly for real sunlight to meet his UVB needs, and giving him a bigger space to roam.

For his diet I'm using zoomed grassland tortoise food, as well as some salad mix and other greens.

Because I have the water dish, is it still necessary to soak my tortoise?

The gray spot to the left of the cuttlebone is a flagstone, for basking and eating on.

I'm picking up my Russian in a week so I'll have plenty of time to make any adjustments needed.

Thanks. WP_20140715_004[1].jpg
WP_20140715_008[1].jpg
WP_20140715_010[1].jpg
This picture is the best I can get to show his hide. It goes deeper than it appears and there is plenty of substrate as well as the hay for him to burrow.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Okay. First, ditch the playsand. If your tort eats it, (happens a lot) it can cause imapaction, intestinal issues and a lot of problems if it builds up down there. Coco coir is great.
I would take the hay out too, because he could eat it, and choke, plus not very nutritious... How many hours of UVB a day? It's very important he gets 12-14 hours of UV rays a day to help keep systems moving/absorb calcium and nutrients better.
Does he have a hide? Some torts are just funny about burrowing. Yes, it's good to soak your future tortoise because it will keep him hydrated... lots of tortoises 'go' during bathtime... and your tort may not like using your dish, mine hardly ever bothers with hid (but it's important to keep!) Cuttle bone is great, I hope he eats it. Flagstone is also great, because it will help trim beak/nails! Good job overall, just a few things :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hay is not good as a substrate. It is too dry. If you get it wet by letting it sit next to damp substrate, it can mold and mildew and cause all sorts of problems.

Sand should not be used in any quantity. It is a very real impaction risk and it frequently causes skin and eye irritation.

They do not need 12-14 hours of UV a day. A half hour outside a couple times a week will meet their UV needs, but more is better.

That water bowl is not suitable. You need something lager across and shallower. Terra cotta plant saucers work best and they are cheap. A 6- or 8" one should fit your tortoise well.

I would soak the tortoise daily for at least the first 2-4 weeks, to make sure it is well hydrated. Many of them are dehydrated when you first get them. After that I would taper it down to twice a week.

Take those stick on dial thermometers and return them. They are not accurate or reliable. Get a remote probed digital thermometer form Walmart or a hardware store.

You light should be mounted straight over head, not at an angle. I can't see it in the pic, but you are probably using the clamp to hold it to the side of the tub. This is a recipe for disaster. Those clamps always eventually fail. Not only could it harm your tortoise, it could literally burn your whole house down. I prefer to hang my lights from over head and adjust the height to get the right temperatures.

In the pic the substrate looks very dry. They need moderate humidity. Keeping it bone dry under a hot light bulb can lead to dehydration and shell issues. Add in not soaking often, and you are headed for trouble.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but that tub is too small for a tortoise the size you are getting. I would wait on the tortoise until you have an appropriately sized enclosure for it.

Here are some links to help you out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The big gun just answered all you question or provided valuable suggestions. You are in a good hand if you just follow the suggestions.