HELPPP (Beginner Russian questions)

Courtney Taylor

Ok so I'm looking into getting a Horsefeild tortoise I've been reading up as much as I can but it's all becoming a blur I've decided to get a tortoise table rather than a viv after reading that vivs are unhealthy for them, however I'm stuck on what on earth goes in the bottom I keep reading 50 topsoil 50 sand pit (something like that) however I am new to this whole reptile tortoise thing I've never owned anything like it, I don't understand the food I keep reading to get weeds but I really don't have enough time to go wandering looking for weeds, I keep seeing words like juveniles and hatchlings (no idea what either of those mean) I've been reading up for ages now and nothing is getting any clearer so any help would be fab, please put it in an dummy proof way considering I'm new to this and have no idea of any terms or anything like that, even the littlest thing what you think I should know please tell me because I probably won't or have read about it but don't understand it, thanks o_O:):tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Vivariums are completely safe and much easier to keep humidity up for hatchlings. No send too much of a risk of impact ation. hatchlings are usually under a year of age juveniles a year until they reach sexual maturity. Don't trust the pet store with the age they don't know how old they are.

Courtney Taylor

I've been told vivariums aren't good and read that as well, stating the glass can disorientate them and they try and get out and also that you can't have a hot and cold end because apparently it all heats up :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've been told vivariums aren't good and read that as well, stating the glass can disorientate them and they try and get out and also that you can't have a hot and cold end because apparently it all heats up :(
Partially true, all you have to do is put paper or something around the bottom of the vivarium to block their sight & that's no longer a problem as for heating up too much that could happen to any enclosure as long as you have the temperature zones up correctly will not be a problem

Courtney Taylor

I did think that about the temperatures as I do have an African pygmy hedgehog and he needs his sleeping area to be warm but I've noticed the other end of his viv doesn't warm up, so thanks I'll definetly keep that in mind :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Courtney, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
A lot of the information out their on the net is old and outdated, sadly so is the information in many books and from pet shops and even some breeders. This is the place for up to date tortoise care information.
Please read. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
for most of the information you need to begin.
If you are getting a baby Russian/ Horsfield (hatchling) then a vivarium would be ideal, as you will need to have a smaller enclosure to keep in the humidity and temperatures that are necessary for it. It will spend a lot of time digging and hiding at this age, so trying to get through the glass is unlikely to be a problem. They mostly only do this when older when they require more space as usually even juveniles (between hatchling and adult) Russians are great explorers and need an enclosure of at least 8' by 4' as a minimum to allow them to patrol their territory and get the excercise and space they need to be happy and healthy. Normally vivs don't get this big, so a home made tortoise table is often a good idea.
The recommended substrates are either coco coir, Orchid bark or cypress mulch, don't use any amount of sand as it can cause impaction (blocking of the digestive tract) and topsoil can contain all sorts of things that may be harmful, but is okay if you're a hundred per cent sure what it's made of.
Broad leafed greens are a major / the most important part of the diet, so you really should make the time to collect them for your tortoise when it's seasonal, only in the winter is a diet of store bought foods acceptable (if you're not hibernating the tortoise) .
Please read the links and ask if you have any questions.

Courtney Taylor

Ok first off what is broad leafor greens and where do I find them? It is probably one of my biggest worries is finding time to pick weeds and things because I do work not just that I have 4 dogs so although I walk them I don't have any spare hands to pick any up and I have ano African pygmy hedgehog which is a lot more work than it sounds and an African grey parrot so I'm definetly worried about not doing right by it and although I have my heart set on one I refuse to get one if I can't look after it properly and give it what it needs
So would you suggest a vivarium rather than a tortoise table?
Also back to food, I free feed ALL of my animals and I have done with every animal I've had previously I worry about them going hungry but I've read that a tortoise is greedy and will carry on eating so I don't want to over feed him and get him fat but I don't want to starve him so do I not feed him all the time and things, I will definetly have a look through those links,
and thank you :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Broad leafed greens : dandelion, hawksbit, prickly lettuce, sow thistle, filaree, mallow etc. You know where to find them in your area better than I. Try http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp
This will tell you what's good to eat for your tortoise.
A vivarium for a hatchling, a larger enclosure for anything else.
Torts will not overeat if they have enough room to exercise. Put the food in at the beginning of the day and if it's gone by the end of the day, it wasn't enough. Some left over and it was plenty.

Courtney Taylor

Thanks I'll definetly have a read through then.
Also would you think a horsefield is a good choice for a beginner or are they all the same I know some way meat and things like that just wondering if some are harder than others.
Thanks again

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Courtney
Slow down , relax ,and forget all you read . You did s great thing you joined the TFO . Read what we have here for you . Torts are fun and relaxing . We are all people that started out just like you .
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488073514.019973.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks I'll definetly have a read through then.
Also would you think a horsefield is a good choice for a beginner or are they all the same I know some way meat and things like that just wondering if some are harder than others.
Thanks again
A Horsfield is a good choice for a first tortoise. But you will need space and a good set up to begin.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi Courtney
Slow down , relax ,and forget all you read . You did s great thing you joined the TFO . Read what we have here for you . Torts are fun and relaxing . We are all people that started out just like you .
View attachment 200711

I totally agree. I did a ton of research also before I got a tortoise and I would have saved a lot of time and confusion if I just would've read what is on this site and ignored everything else. Russians are great. They have a ton of personality and they are hearty. They are more fragile as hatchlings, babies, so an adult is a great starter tortoise.