Russian Tortoise breeding help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
I am wondering how i get my male and female RT to "get in the mood" if ya know what i mean xD They both have a big backyard and are both large enough. Any suggestions??

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Usually you don't have to do anything. Nature works it out.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
kanalomele said:
Oh ok. Ill just give it time :)
"Nature works it out" only if you are in a suitable climate for Russians to live naturally and go through enough of a seasonal cycle that it triggers their courtship and breeding. In the U.S. that is primarily in the Southwestern areas of the country. It's not going to happen in the north.

They can be manipulated to reproduce indoors with the use and changing of heat, light duration and intensity as well as some other minor "triggers" that need to be in place.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
RussianTortoiseCraze123 said:
kanalomele said:
Oh ok. Ill just give it time :)
"Nature works it out" only if you are in a suitable climate for Russians to live naturally and go through enough of a seasonal cycle that it triggers their courtship and breeding. In the U.S. that is primarily in the Southwestern areas of the country. It's not going to happen in the north.

They can be manipulated to reproduce indoors with the use and changing of heat, light duration and intensity as well as some other minor "triggers" that need to be in place.
Oh ok. I love on the west coast of the USA in the southern part of the state.. it gets quite warm here.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:

What are your other "minor" triggers? I think I've noticed that changing out the substrate, having both new substrate and also wetter than usual on the new, seemed to have an effect.

Dont know if I'm off base, but I was thinking that when their environment looks new and changed, like new and wetter substrate, new items and setup of enclose, that they view the "new" circumstances as a new season.

To the original poster, Keeping them separated for a while, and then re-introducing them, has, at least with mine, made the male much more likely to work up his mating

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
JoeImhof said:
GBtortoises said:

What are your other "minor" triggers? I think I've noticed that changing out the substrate, having both new substrate and also wetter than usual on the new, seemed to have an effect.

Dont know if I'm off base, but I was thinking that when their environment looks new and changed, like new and wetter substrate, new items and setup of enclose, that they view the "new" circumstances as a new season.

To the original poster, Keeping them separated for a while, and then re-introducing them, has, at least with mine, made the male much more likely to work up his mating

Along with a dramatic increase in temperature, light intensity and daylight hours I spray them at least once daily and increase fresh green foods in large numbers. I keep them in about 8" of cypress mulch, with an "underground" burrow. I also have an 8" container of topsoil next to the basking area that the females almost always nest in (rather than the cypress mulch). The lights are positioned about 2/3 of the way from one end and with the combination of a 100w spot light and a 150w MVB the temperatures under them reach 110-120 degrees easily. There is also a 4' flourescent 10.0 UV tube. The lights are on 16 hours a day. There is also a night time heat source that keep the temperature above the burrow area in the mid 70's at night.
Usually within a couple of weeks after being brought indoors here from the cool outdoor weather with shorter days they will begin to breed. The first female nested a few days ago.
I keep them in this environment for about 2 months and then decrease the temperatures and light to begin to prepare them for brumation.

RussianTortoiseCraze123

5 Year Member
JoeImhof said:
GBtortoises said:
Ok! Ill be sure to try that! They dont usually hang out but im building a new enclosure where they will be together! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.