Russian tort trying to eat metal

mypettorti

Location (City and/or State)
wales, UK
Is it just my Russian tortoise that tries to eat any metal that she comes in contact with and also leads/cables?

i was just asking this out of my own curiosity :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Torts will taste test a lot of things that's why we say to keep the tort in its in closure don't let it run a round the house it can hurt its self too badly . The tort will also eat carpet fuzz and unlike a cat it cannt spit up fur balls. Being a tort parent isn't easy . But good luck .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
do you have a cuddle fish bone for it to try? I've heard of them eating rocks but never metal.

Flipper

MO, USA
I have no idea :rolleyes: Mine eats dirt every time I have her outside. I do giver her a supplement called miner-all 2-3 times per week. I thought this would give her the micro nutrients she was "craving" but nope. She still eats the dirt.

Your may like the way metal smells :confused:

mypettorti

wales, UK
do you have a cuddle fish bone for it to try? I've heard of them eating rocks but never metal.[/QUOTE

yes we tried her with a cuttlefish but she didnt use it at all but she has recently started eating rocks outside so we are going to try her on another cuttlefish bone and hopefully she likes it this time round

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Most times it will sit in there untouched until the tort feels the need for calcium... Then they go to town on the bone. Offer it up and leave it in there.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

mypettorti

wales, UK
Tortoises shouldn't ever have access to those kinds of things.

the metal she was trying to eat was the garden bench outside and it has metal legs that she likes to go for. its not as though i let her run around the house eating whatever she wants to

mypettorti

wales, UK
Most times it will sit in there untouched until the tort feels the need for calcium... Then they go to town on the bone. Offer it up and leave it in there.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

okay thanks. i will have to try that soon :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise likely has a mineral or trace element deficiency. Over here we have a product called MinerAll that typically solves that problem. Don't know what you would use over there.

This is more common in tortoises fed mostly store bought foods. Less common in tortoises that eat weeds and leaves.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I have one Leopard that tries to eat everything new in his enclosure. From rocks to flower pots and a wall I added. He stops after a day or so. To me it seems like a toddler thing. What is this? Taste it n see.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Mine goes for my house slippers when I step in his habitat to feed him. They are brightly painted. Since he really likes flowers, I figure he is just confused. :confused: