Russian tort - feces amber colour and tube/pellet shaped

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosman

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

When my Russian tortoise empties her bowels now they're a strange colour. Usually it's green but not it's an amber colour and they're the shape of little mike n' ikes.

Her eating habits are iffy. Some days she eats super well, others she doesn't eat too much. Although, she is still really active and her eyes are wide open and she's always playing/moving around.

I want to take her to the vet but she just saw one 2 months ago and as a student I can hardly afford to take her unless it is absolutely necessary.

Someone told me the change in weather causes them to slow down with their eating and they start to defecate differently. However, I am not sure if that has any truth to it.

additional info: eats dandelions, kale (not too much, romaine, endive, mixed greens etc
-gets a soaking every other day. Enclosure is currently play sand and I will be changing it out and adding in coconut coir
-owned her since April, and this problem hasn't been seen until 2 days ago

Any help would be super great. Thank you everyone

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
To me personally, it doesn't sound like anything to be overly worried about. If it was super smelly, slimy, had a pink/bloody tinge to it I would worry, but I have seen a wide range of green to brown colors and as long as it is somewhat firm, she sounds fine to me.

I see absolutely no reason to waste your money on a vet.

wosman

5 Year Member
Kristina said:
To me personally, it doesn't sound like anything to be overly worried about. If it was super smelly, slimy, had a pink/bloody tinge to it I would worry, but I have seen a wide range of green to brown colors and as long as it is somewhat firm, she sounds fine to me.

I see absolutely no reason to waste your money on a vet.

Thank you so much.

She seems fine, except she isn't eating as much. But others have said the same as what you said and that she is probably fine.

She does seem to have these phases where she doesn't really eat for one or two days, then she's back at it for the rest of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.