Injured tort care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meheula

5 Year Member
I bought a new Russian Tortoise about a month ago to go with my one I've had for about 5 years. Anyway, about a week ago, her bottom beak started to fall off so I took her to the vet and he stitched her up. A few days later, the other side of her beak started to come off so I took her back to the vet and he had to amputate the bottom beak.

She's had a rough few days and isn't really eating or drinking when I soak her. I have a few questions. What is the best way to make sure she doesn't get infected? What should I feed her and how do I make sure she eats? How should I go about taking care of her wound, like cleaning it and what not. I have some antibacterial ointment I've been putting on it, given to me by the vet.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Meheula:

I'm having a hard time picturing the tortoise's problem. I don't see how a beak can be stitched. It's very hard and almost impossible to put a needle through. So I'm wondering if I'm not seeing the problem as it exists. Can you post pictures?

Beak problems are usually due to MBD (Metabolic bone disease). The tortoise needs lots of calcium-rich foods and plenty of sunshine.

You'll need to cut/chop the tortoise's food up into very small pieces until he has a healed beak with a good "bite."

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You may need to separate the to Russians. They can bully each other and that might be what happened. I also wouldn't want the two together while one is trying to heal. I would also make the food into a mush so as it doesn't have really anything to really bite on.

Meheula

5 Year Member
The beak is now off, and i guess i just need to make sure it doesn't get infected. Or what i need to do to clean the wound if it does get infected. I have muricin that I've been putting on the wound. I'm very worried about her.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would ask the vet your questions and see what she/he has to say. I know I would be very worried about a situation like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.