Russian Substrate-Please help

Mommyof4

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I just got my Russian Tortoise hatchling and put him in his substrate. I used the cypress mulch that someone on here recommended, but I noticed a bunch of tiny little bugs crawling around. What should I do? Will this hurt him?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Without pictures of the bugs, we couldn't tell you for sure if they would hurt him, but they probably won't. Most people recommend freezing substrate before using. I think @Cowboy_Ken recommends freezing 2x but I can't remember why?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You can take him out for a bit and poor boiling water on it too. That should kill them.

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
I don't think I will be able to get any pictures, they are really tiny. That makes sense to freeze it or boil it, I didn't even think of that! Thank you very much!!!! I am so scared that I will do something to hurt him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes just spreading it out on a sheet of plastic and letting the sun shine on it til it dries out kills all the bugs. Turn it occasionally so all of the particles get some sun.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sometimes fruit nats go to live in wet substrate. Is it very wet in there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
Thanks for all the info!!! Those links were very helpful and I feel a lot better now that I already knew most of what was in there. I think I will go to the store today and try the coco coir.

I have another question and it seems kind of silly, but I want to make sure he is ok. I got him yesterday and I noticed that he kind of looks like he has the hiccups. His head will bob up and down. Is this just the way he is breathing or is there something wrong?

Teesh

Thanks for all the info!!! Those links were very helpful and I feel a lot better now that I already knew most of what was in there. I think I will go to the store today and try the coco coir.

I have another question and it seems kind of silly, but I want to make sure he is ok. I got him yesterday and I noticed that he kind of looks like he has the hiccups. His head will bob up and down. Is this just the way he is breathing or is there something wrong?
Having the same hiccup prob

Teesh

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
Thanks! One more question.....I switched substrate to top soil and peat moss. I use mostly peat moss because its softer and tends to hold moisture better. It is much cheaper than coco fiber, but someone recently said that peat moss might not be good for him. Can anyone tell me if its ok to use or should I switch? Thanks!!!!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks! One more question.....I switched substrate to top soil and peat moss. I use mostly peat moss because its softer and tends to hold moisture better. It is much cheaper than coco fiber, but someone recently said that peat moss might not be good for him. Can anyone tell me if its ok to use or should I switch? Thanks!!!!
I have an adult Russian tortoise. In her outdoor pen I use a mixture of topsoil and Pete Moss. About a 50/50 mixture.Haven't had any problems with it.but I don't know if this is different for a hatchling indoors, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We have our Sully on a substrate mix 50/50 coir and peatmoss and a few handfulls of sphagnum moss. No issues at all. Keep it all sprayed down, and it keeps your enclosure nice and moist.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its just personal preference, but I don't like "top soil". What is it? What is it made of? Does it have any additives?

Which type of peat moss? The long fibered stuff or the dirt type stuff? I don't like either. My tortoises try to eat the long fibered stuff and also drag it all over the place. The dirt style stuff is very messy. As long as they are not eating it, neither are harmful, I just have other things that I think work better. Sometimes some trial and error is necessary. Some people try the coir and hate it.

Coco coir can be purchased in bulk at just about any garden center. I bought enough to do 3 100 gallon tanks for about $12. Buying anything at the pet store is going to be expensive.

Mommyof4

Wisconsin
He doesn't seem to have any problems with it. He isn't trying to eat it or anything like that. I just was double checking that it wouldn't give him any health problems that I wasn't aware of. He actually seems to like it better because he is burying himself more now. Thanks everyone for your help. You have eased my mind. I also think I will look a little more into my garden centers around here to buy in bulk.

ShellyEllie123

London, England
Hi, I've just joined the forum because I have loads of questions. My Russian tortoise is 2 years old (I think) and I have had him since April this year. At the moment I use Habistat Aspen Bedding for his indoor enclosure, but after what you have said, I am wondering whether it is the right thing to use for him. Also, would it be good for him to have an outdoor enclosure? Thanks

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hi, I've just joined the forum because I have loads of questions. My Russian tortoise is 2 years old (I think) and I have had him since April this year. At the moment I use Habistat Aspen Bedding for his indoor enclosure, but after what you have said, I am wondering whether it is the right thing to use for him. Also, would it be good for him to have an outdoor enclosure? Thanks
Maybe you should start your one thread :D
Aspen is really good for torts, and yes, outdoor time is very healthy!
EDIT: Oops, isn't..