Russian Hatchling

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I will be getting my hatchling soon, once I am done setting *everything* up. I have a couple questions though I can't seem to find on the forum...

They are all age related...

How oldish do they need to be when the humid box and 80* at night ends?

How old until they can stay outside during the summer? Where I live they can be outside for 3 to 4 months. It has a "lid" and is completely predator proof.

and I think that is it... :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
When I got my Russian, he was considered 4-6 years old, but only 4 inches in length. A predator could easily pick him up. Mine has been outside pretty much full time for the last 2 years. When yours are at the age indicated by someone more helpful, having it covered with chicken wire is an idea I've seen. Tom uses outside enclosure for his baby Russians and it has chicken wire on top. Hope he doesn't mind that I say that for him!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will be getting my hatchling soon, once I am done setting *everything* up. I have a couple questions though I can't seem to find on the forum...

They are all age related...

How oldish do they need to be when the humid box and 80* at night ends?

How old until they can stay outside during the summer? Where I live they can be outside for 3 to 4 months. It has a "lid" and is completely predator proof.

and I think that is it... :)

Russians don't need it 80 at night and they don't need as much humidity either. That info is for sulcatas and other tropical torts that hatch out during the rainy season.

Also, it is not age, but size that determines these things.

I think they are fine to stay outside full time, weather permitting and or enclosure permitting, once they are around 4 inches.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...having it covered with chicken wire is an idea I've seen. Tom uses outside enclosure for his baby Russians and it has chicken wire on top. Hope he doesn't mind that I say that for him!

CHICKEN WIRE??? Blasphemy!!! I would never use chicken wire. Even a small dog can get through that.

I use welded wire. Usually 1x1" or 1x2". Its much heavier duty than chicken wire.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
CHICKEN WIRE??? Blasphemy!!! I would never use chicken wire. Even a small dog can get through that.

I use welded wire. Usually 1x1" or 1x2". Its much heavier duty than chicken wire.
Ah....my bad Tom

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
Thanks for the advice. Also I am getting all of the information from the russian tortoise hatchling care sheet on the forum.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho

Tom, I need to make a lid for my inside enclosure as I have cats and they love sleeping under the lights. Past experience, they always slept with my RT as a kid. Anyway, I certainly don't want that again - though no harm came - specially with a hatchling. I was going to use the hardwire cloth, is 1x2" okay? The UVB light will have no problem going through that correct? It just doesn't go through mesh...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I need to make a lid for my inside enclosure as I have cats and they love sleeping under the lights. Past experience, they always slept with my RT as a kid. Anyway, I certainly don't want that again - though no harm came - specially with a hatchling. I was going to use the hardwire cloth, is 1x2" okay? The UVB light will have no problem going through that correct? It just doesn't go through mesh...

Hardware cloth only comes in 1/4 x 1/4 or 1/2 x 1/2 inch mesh. 1x2" mesh is welded wire. I like the welded wire best, but the 1/2 x 1/2 inch hardware cloth will work too and keep kitty paws out. Be sure to attach the lamp fixture to the wire top so they don't get pushed off by the kitties.

Robbo90

5 Year Member
Idaho
Yes, Sorry, 1/2x1/2 is what I meant :) I do a lot with hardware cloth so I have it all over.

Now the stuff with the green pvc coating, would that be a no go? I am unsure with the lights and heat and all...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, Sorry, 1/2x1/2 is what I meant :) I do a lot with hardware cloth so I have it all over.
Now the stuff with the green pvc coating, would that be a no go? I am unsure with the lights and heat and all...

Your heat lamps will melt the coated stuff. I've used CHEs and heat lamps directly on the uncoated metal wire with no problems.