Russian and Wood Enclosure

Future4Animals

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, il
Looking to create a 3-ft by 6 ft enclosure for my Russians. I will use wood painted with pond paint to keep the moisture out. My question is will the be damaged by the Russians if they decide to start scratching the wood? I understand most pond paint is an epoxy. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20210316-080414_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
It's a clever idea. But even though it says non toxic, I'm not sure if its worth the risk of the tort ingesting it after they scratch it off. (I think its a given that they'll scratch through it eventually). That is just my two cents. If you do end up using it, anyway,, I would be interested to hear your thoughts/experience with it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You could always first use the epoxy, then when cured, cover the bottom and sides with some thick plastic. Create a double barrier. Then on top of ur second layer goes the substrate. Just make sure you bring your plastic up the sides high enough (above where the substrate would end). I used PVC trim then around the cut edge to make it all neat & tidy.

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Mark beat me to it so I'll just coattail on his suggestion....Vinyl tile makes for a decent barrier. Its relatively cheap and easy to work with too. I used it on the floor of my indoor wooden enclosure (but need to add some to the walls too especially in the humid hide. It provides moisture protection as well as saves the wood from the digging. If there is a chance of standing moisture (i.e. puddled water, spills,) You can also seal the joints between the tile with caulk or silicone.

S2G

AL
You're good & way overkill. People build massive plywood fish tanks & use that stuff. If it works for them you're golden.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Just price that against buying the expanded PVC 4'x8' sheets. No coating needed, waterproof and only joints need sealed with silicone.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Just price that against buying the expanded PVC 4'x8' sheets. No coating needed, waterproof and only joints need sealed with silicone.
I have to second this. My husband and I built an enclosure with PVC sheets and PVC glue. We ran a bead of marine caulk along the seams and there is no leakage. It eliminates the need or fuss of a liner or coating.

Future4Animals

5 Year Member
Chicago, il

What about the thoughts of a Russian tortoise scratching up against the expanded PVC? I thought the wood would be sturdy barrier.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What about the thoughts of a Russian tortoise scratching up against the expanded PVC? I thought the wood would be sturdy barrier.
If you only keep them in the enclosure and it has high enough walls it will not scratch the walls repeatedly. They do that after they have been let out onto the floor of your house (Danger zone) to roam and "stretch their legs". The tort then deems this as their territory so they want back out so the can recheck/re-scent their territory so another tort doesn't wander in and take it over. I have my Russian overwintering in a 6' round kiddie pool that unfolded from a small cardboard box-that is flimsy!, but I don't let him out on the floor to roam so no scratching.