RT LIGHTS

Madeleine M

Hi, I'm currently using 2 lights one day time & one night time.. I want a fresh start with lights considering my last one was a coil & messed up my RT eye :( (if anyone has advice on that I could also use it)
Anyway, I need to know what exact lights I should be useing at what times etc.
I do also need a night time one because I live in New England . Haha.
Pictures will help!
Thanks!!!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
A picture and description of your enclosure would help. Chances are you will not need night heat unless your house gets very cold at night. I'd say as long as your house stays 65 or above you will be fine without heat. If it does get colder than that then I suggest using a ceramic heat emitter.. it gives heat without light. Your tortoise needs darkness.
You could use a mercury vapor bulb which provides UVB and heat or a long fluorescent UVB bulb and then a regular lightbulb or spotlight bulb for heat. Check out the lighting and enclosure section for some ideas. And definitely stay away from the coiled kind as you unfortunately found out the hard way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, a ceramic heat emitter for extra day heat if needed and for night heat. I would also use a mercury vapor bulb for light, UVB, heat and it will be the basking spot too. The 100 watt PowerSun brand is what I like. Be sure to use the big metal dome, ceramic socket fixture for both bulb and emitter.
The emitter comes in white also and the dome fixtures sometimes are chrome color. Do not use the clamps that come with the fixtures. They have been known to fail and that's a fire hazard.
image.png image.png