ROUND #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
round 1: (switched to aspen. pot soil smelled like horse poop to husband
, and not big enough)
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa373/sheilaamistone1974/791d767d.jpg

round 2: pokey REFUSES to use humid hides (or any hides for that matter).
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa373/sheilaamistone1974/86700e25.jpg

round 3: (final round) container with some wet dirt, and plastic wrap (for cooking) to cover the 1/2 of pool that pokey spends most of his time in. temps are: cool 74, warm 85, and basking: 110. humidity under plastic half is 80% and other half is 50%
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa373/sheilaamistone1974/e1424a4a.jpg
not sure how else to get him in humidity. he is also getting his warm soaks every day.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
Have you tried coconut coir? It doesn't seem to have the "dirt/earthy" odor that top soil or potting soil has, and it retains humidity better than aspen.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With the higher humidity, which is good, the temps should never go below 80-85 is preferred. A cold humid tort is going to get sick.

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
yep. tried it for my snakes. that lasted a whole 6 hrs. I couldn't stand the smell. they are in my bedroom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had coconut coir in my leopards enclosure for approx. 9 months before I changed it out. It never smelled. Mine never pooped in the enclosure, always in his soak, however the pee must have been in there. Are you spot cleaning every day. All old food taken out. Poop cleaned up. I don't understand why it would smell so bad, hmmm.:D

sheilaamistone1974

5 Year Member
I just don't like the smell. even as it just comes out of the bag. as far as the temps? is that even for the coolest part of the tank? I can always add more heat bulbs

just added another heat bulb. now just waiting to see how the temps get

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I just don't like the smell.

I find this interesting....you obtain a reptile that lives in the earth and yet you are not prepared to get use to the soil smell?? hmmmm?

Those aspen chips are not designed for a permanent long term substrate for a tortoise....not intending to come off pushy, but just find this interesting.... :rolleyes:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I know there are several members who do keep their tortoises on the aspen. You do have an area, which is not the aspen so that is a major advantage too along with you are soaking him. You know if your seriously worried about the lack of humidity, you could always be the big mean human and place him in a closed humid hide at night (or for a portion of the day even). :cool: Or place his food within the humid hide situation? Just something to make him want to go into it and then perhaps he will start to like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.