Rose new RedFoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I usually get them in a craft store. We have Michael's Craft store here that I go to. That system sounds great. Make sure you post some pictures on how to do it when you're done.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
If you can try to get your plastics from a plastic distributor or even check with a sign shop it will be cheaper, Lowes and Homedepot mark-up is outrageous. Also if you use polycarbonate (Lexan) it won't crack as easy as plexiglass, Homedepot sells lexan. There are special bits for plexiglass that will drill right through it, not sure if Lowes sells them or not, I used to get mine from Regal Plastics. The key is a very sharp tip with a long angle, also taping the acrylic is a good idea, but regular bits will just crack it.

I like the idea of the window in the tote and may borrow it in the future.

As far as Humidity, it's pretty swampy here in Houston, but I still find the squirt bottle works best, you could research vivariums and frog habitats.

Great looking little redfoot, I really like split scutes, both my Hermann's and both my Leopards have split scutes.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
BrinnANDGupta said:
Yes yes but I am having problems with creating doors out of them and making it so air isn't leaking out everywhere. I am going to have to screw one by twos into the plastic around where I cut the hole and then caulk around them and then I am going to have to silicone the plexiglass to one by twos and create a door and hinge that one because I cant screw through plexiglass without it cracking...I tried for two hours. Problem is that is like EIGHT one by twos haha and I need some short little screws.

I used a regular drill bit with plexiglass, but it was brand new, bought for this purpose (Home Depot could not provide a special bit for me, other hardware stores might). The other two tricks I have heard for drilling plexiglass is to spray a little water on it first and go slowly; get it started then don't let the drill go up to full speed. (tape is a good idea too). Make sure the drill bit you pick is bigger than the screw size; the under layer will secure it in place.
I am going to look at alternative sources for plexiglass and lexan too, the box box home stores are overpriced, just easy.:p
What if you removed the plexiglass and put a short piece of wood on the lower end (4" high?) caulked and waterproofed. Then you could replace the plexiglass you have on the outside, but not worry as much about making it leak proof.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I don't want it to be leak proof as much as I don't want that much air escaping out the sides. Hard to keep heat&humidity in
I have bought 8 1x2x8's and some little stainless steel 1/2" long screws to frame around the outside of the hole and then I will caulk the spaces in between the wood and plastic with clear caulk.
I am going to silicone the plexiglass to 1x2x8 frame and then screw the hinges into the wood creating doors. Problem solved hehehehe , I will never get rid of these huge storage things. They are my new starter enclosures until I of course find something better haha

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
BrinnANDGupta said:
I don't want it to be leak proof as much as I don't want that much air escaping out the sides. Hard to keep heat&humidity in
I have bought 8 1x2x8's and some little stainless steel 1/2" long screws to frame around the outside of the hole and then I will caulk the spaces in between the wood and plastic with clear caulk.
I am going to silicone the plexiglass to 1x2x8 frame and then screw the hinges into the wood creating doors. Problem solved hehehehe , I will never get rid of these huge storage things. They are my new starter enclosures until I of course find something better haha

Good plan! I'm going to try to mooch tools off friends this weekend, I don't want to wait now that you've gotten me all excited!

Ps there's a newbie thread that needs your attention :p "new to the tortoise world" I think

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Good plan! I'm going to try to mooch tools off friends this weekend, I don't want to wait now that you've gotten me all excited!

Ps there's a newbie thread that needs your attention :p "new to the tortoise world" I think

As soon you told me that I ran over to that thread and posted links like crazy!!!! YEA!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
BrinnANDGupta said:
ShadowRancher said:

As soon you told me that I ran over to that thread and posted links like crazy!!!! YEA!

*Slow Clap*
you totally get the slowest slow clap ever for that post :). Your stock "sulcata welcome-wagon" response just keeps getting better

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
good enclosure solution and advice well done!
If you figure out the waterfall/misting set up, share with the world!!!!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:

I don't think I am going to be able to figure out the misting system. :(

BrinnANDGupta said:
lynnedit said:

I don't think I am going to be able to figure out the misting system. :(

You need a really powerful pump to go the misting thing I am pretty sure. Not so powerful if you made a stand for the water that put it above the cage so that the water ran downwards but then its just a bunch of clear tubing with misters on the end

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well, what you are doing and adding the waterfall should be enough!
I love your enclosure stories.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I ordered six medium water fall pumps off amazing for the waterfalls cause they are going to be small and its just a matter of running it up maybe one foot so it can drizzle back down.
I ordered a much larger pump off amazon for around 50 dollars that got really good reviews that I can use for the misting system and I can plug it into one of those prong timers for short cycles like ten times a day. I will submerged it in a large 10 gallon bucket and just run tubbing to all the enclosure, I will use a water heater to keep the water warm in the bucke. I think one mister per enclosure Is plenty.
I am very excited to get this underway , everything arrives in the mail next week .
One waterfall is going to be a bamboo one and one is going to made pretty by petrified wood. I haven't decided what the other waterfalls will be decorated with

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
sounds great! Can't wait to see pics.
You know, you could eventually consider the misting system in an outdoor enclosure for young sullies or redfoots. I have seen nice setups with those, really helps during dry hot weather. Much easier to connect to an outdoor spigot.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
sounds great! Can't wait to see pics.
You know, you could eventually consider the misting system in an outdoor enclosure for young sullies or redfoots. I have seen nice setups with those, really helps during dry hot weather. Much easier to connect to an outdoor spigot.

Yea they will have a misting system outdoors too.
I just think the mist king thing is way over priced and I can create my own with much more misters for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.