Rohr Squad

GRohr

Hey guys,

I decided I wanted to make a dedicated thread that I can show all the photos that we take of our little squad. Two are a little over 4 months that I was able to get from Vicki, our first we got from the turtle source but i personally will never get anything from them again. They were in the largest rubber maid bin that i could get but I really didn't like even when we only had one tortoise. So i decided to build something that would last them a while till I build them something dedicated in the backyard when they get larger. When they get larger I will get a new tort that will be able to stay in it long term. I posted more detailed pics in the enclosure section.

upload_2015-10-11_14-21-35.jpeg

It has a 6'x3' main floor and a 2'x3' second level. I have one 100W ceramic night heater ran by a temperature controller, the past 3 nights during my testing stage it has kept it at 80 F. My house does get colder during winter so I may need another one if it isn't enough. Then for the main lighting I have one 24" 5.0 HO bulb and a regular 24" fluorescence bulb, these are one for 14 hrs a day. Then I have a mercury vapor bulb that comes on for 7 hours a day for extra UVB and to heat one side to just under 90 F and the far side gets to 84 F.

I am growing fresh weeds and other vegetables for the winter under the enclosure. The only thing that i may need to change is that the top window is flush with the floor (ran out of room). The torts like to come up to it and watch us but they haven't been trying to climb out of it but if they do I will have to place some tape on the window.

Here is the crew:
Bascha our first and weighs 126g
upload_2015-10-11_14-34-1.jpeg
Gus Gus weighing in at 114g
upload_2015-10-11_14-33-41.jpeg
Locki the runt at 75g
upload_2015-10-11_14-34-38.jpeg

I plan on trying to update you all pretty regularly and post lots of pictures as they grow.

Cheers!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the thread. I love watching little ones grow and change.

Curious if you have seen them using the ramp.

GRohr

I just placed them in there today. I really was worried about any fumes so it let it set for about a week and a half. They each have gone up and down about 2 or 3 times in the last couple hours exploring. I was a bit worried about them not being able to climb easily up it so I glued cypres mulch to the ramp so they wouldn't be able to scrap it off and get good traction.

GRohr

I shouldn't have been worried about them climbing though as Gus Gus is always determined to climb over EVERYTHING.

upload_2015-10-11_15-5-13.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_15-8-7.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_15-8-17.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_15-9-3.jpeg

He didn't flip while going down but in the new enclosure I made it a bit more anti-flipping safe.

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-11_15-8-23.jpeg
    upload_2015-10-11_15-8-23.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Gus Gus! Sometimes I wonder if they have a death wish.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Glad to see another ongoing redfoot thread! I was less ballsy and waited until mine were a year old to start one. I love the efficiency of the enclosure/grow area. Be prepared to expand the enclosure/grow area to, well, the whole house in the near future ;). It's discouraging to spend months growing edible furniture only to have them disappear in a day or two. That's the only reason why plants seem to be crammed in every nook and cranny in the house. Great job and I look forward to checking back on this thread!

NolaBillie

New Orleans
Cool job! And wow, seeing Gus gus... I have an increased respect for their ability to climb. Wow.

GRohr

Glad to see another ongoing redfoot thread! I was less ballsy and waited until mine were a year old to start one. I love the efficiency of the enclosure/grow area. Be prepared to expand the enclosure/grow area to, well, the whole house in the near future ;). It's discouraging to spend months growing edible furniture only to have them disappear in a day or two. That's the only reason why plants seem to be crammed in every nook and cranny in the house. Great job and I look forward to checking back on this thread!

Thanks pfara, I really like your setup and always enjoy your photos. yeah, i am already thinking about building a second shelf setup for growing more for them. I just like fresh home grown foods when I can get them for my little guys rather than the grocery store.

GRohr

So I am used to a jeep forum where you post pictures of just the shipping boxes as they arrive so be prepared for picture overload on a weekly basis!

Here is a ramp shot for you Yvonne G
upload_2015-10-12_8-50-18.jpeg

Curious Torts (still haven't tried to walk through the glass yet)
upload_2015-10-12_8-51-7.jpeg

Gus Gus was up early this morning and found his food pile early
upload_2015-10-12_8-51-53.jpeg

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
What an awesome build!

It's crazy doing that much work for something they'll outgrow in a year or two! (I'm already thinking about how we'll go about expanding Troggy's enclosure, what his outdoor digs will be like come late Spring, and setting up his indoor winter garden and outdoor spring garden! Torts are so much work!)

GRohr

What an awesome build!

It's crazy doing that much work for something they'll outgrow in a year or two! (I'm already thinking about how we'll go about expanding Troggy's enclosure, what his outdoor digs will be like come late Spring, and setting up his indoor winter garden and outdoor spring garden! Torts are so much work!)

I hear ya, I spent a lot more money than i intended to at first and it will not last them very long. I am thinking about either a Egyptian or star tortoise to house in there once my red tumble weeds outgrow it haha. I just really like watching them and checking up on them throughout the day so i wanted something that looked nice in my living room.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I hear ya, I spent a lot more money than i intended to at first and it will not last them very long. I am thinking about either a Egyptian or star tortoise to house in there once my red tumble weeds outgrow it haha. I just really like watching them and checking up on them throughout the day so i wanted something that looked nice in my living room.

Ha. Unlikely I'll be able to convince my other half that another, smaller species should inhabit this enclosure when Troggy is done. I think the plan is to knock a side out and expand... Though now you've put ideas in head. And he'll likely need his own room set up as an indoor greenhouse in a year or two. Hmmm...

GRohr

We had a bit of a traffic jam the other day. They have a path that they all like to walk through the dense area of weeds. Bascha just kinda stopped and let Gus Gus kinda go to the side and under her to get past her. We were laughing so hard at them.
upload_2015-10-21_9-32-3.jpeg

I was a bit worried about one of them trying to be the dominate one in the group but they have all kinda gone to their own favorite spots in the enclose and hang out alone. Loki has taken over the top section and rarely comes down these days but he still sleeps most of the day away in comparison to the other two.

upload_2015-10-21_9-33-48.jpeg

And Bascha likes to lay in the weeds when she eats them and is starting to flatten them out pretty badly. I have another batch ready to go in soon though.
upload_2015-10-21_9-35-23.jpeg

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
It gets kinda frustrating watching 3 weeks worth of grass growing get flattened in 3 seconds. As much as I love the look of grass (I tried growing a lawn in my indoor enclosure), it starts to get really ugly really fast. I don't think I've noticed any behavioral difference between living in a grass enclosure vs. dirt/mulch. It's nice to be able to switch between the two very easily, though!

As for the dominance thing. They might be too small to worry about some sort of pecking order right now. I remember two months into having mine, Sunny started biting at the other torts' faces. I was so concerned but was told that she'd probably outgrow the behavior soon. Just keep vigilant watch and record monthly weight/length and they should be fine.

They look beautiful. I'm liking Bascha a lot ;)

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
It's filling out nicely with plants! Also, Gus Gus is a ringer for Troggy. I think they're from the same source, so that makes sense!

GRohr

Thanks pfara and Rutibegga!

I was a bit late this morning for breakfast. Gus Gus and Bascha were not pleased and I woke up to this:
upload_2015-10-28_9-49-37.jpeg

They were running out of the hide before I even had anything on their food plates. They act like I starve them I swear!

Happy Wednesday!

GRohr

Well @pfara you were right, i am already running out of good stuff to feed/ put in their enclosure. Before I get a new shelf setup going I did my best to optimize the space I had!
IMG_20151107_133756160_HDR.jpg