Questions on new Cherry Head care

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I hope you don't mind that I'm posting here. I probably should use the "New/Need Help" section but this one seems to get more traffic.....
I purchased my first tortoise and my little bundle of joy will be shipped early next week. I'm so excited! My husband and I will be scrambling this weekend to get our Tortoise Table built.
For the substrate the breeder recommended sphagnum moss and cypress mulch which we are getting and I feel comfortable about the feeding.
My main questions keep coming back to the UVB lighting/basking. The breeder recommends UVB 100w bulb - I found the Zoo Med PowerSun UVB 100 watt on Amazon and had it ordered early this week, but just cancelled my order because it's just now getting prepared to ship and will not be here in time for my tortoise to arrive. Are there brands at the local Pet Store chains (Petsmart/Petco/Pet Supermarket) that will have a good UVB bulb I can use? The bulb I was going to purchase is $52 at Amazon which was the cheapest place I found it. I don't mind the money if there's something special about this bulb that's better for my tortoise - but as a new tortoise purchaser I don't want to fall prey to overspending when it's not necessary. Does that make sense?
Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The mercury vapor bulbs are the best. They give off heat, light and the most UVB if any bulb. However, you could use one of the fluorescent types they have too. They will give light and UVB, but no heat. Also, pick up a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat, no light. As soon as your little one arrives, give it a nice warm soak for 20-30 minutes. Out him in the already set up and turned on enclosure with some food after the soak and leave him be for a little while. Let him get accustomed to his new home. Watch from afar. After a day or two, or depending on how well he comes around and doesn't just hide all the time, then you can visit or handle him more.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
The powersun bulb is sold in most pet stores, petco, petsmart etc. Around 60$ or so. Ive had good eperiences with mine thus far. Some people say that red foots dont like the bright light, but mine seems ok with it thus far. Where did ya get your cherry from?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Reds foots don't like it to bright . The uvb / heat lamps are to bright and they hide from them . What I use is a 10.0 t8 lamp you can get the fixture and lamp combo for 29/30 bucks at petco. I use two ches on a thermostat to keep the temperatures I need . If you add a lot of plants then the uvb / heat lamps will work . Because the plants will block some of the light. I like to keep my cool side at 80 and my hot side at 85-90 . Humidity I keep at 85 %. You need to be careful with the substrate being to wet it will cause shell rot . When you build your enclosure make it a closed chambers so you can hold in heat and humidity . Them open top tables are hard to get the humidity right . Most people will cover them with plastic to hold humidity. But thats up to you . When you add water to your substrate pour it in the corners of the enclosure so the top of the substrate stays dry . This will save you problems down the road . Hope that helps you. Welcome to the forum.

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
TommyZ said:
The powersun bulb is sold in most pet stores, petco, petsmart etc. Around 60$ or so. Ive had good eperiences with mine thus far. Some people say that red foots dont like the bright light, but mine seems ok with it thus far. Where did ya get your cherry from?

I purchased mine from Vicki at The Tortoise Yard. If you look on TortoiseYard.com at the Cherryheads for sale album, mine is #CHL6B.
Can't wait!!

Maverick

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Questions on new Cherry Head care

TommyZ said:

I have had the same experience... My little one doesn't seem bothered by the lights at all. I use a florescent uvb and regular incandescent for basking.

TommyZ

5 Year Member

RedFootMom said:
TommyZ said:

I purchased mine from Vicki at The Tortoise Yard. If you look on TortoiseYard.com at the Cherryheads for sale album, mine is #CHL6B.
Can't wait!!

I checked your little one out, great looking little tort. Congrats!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I raised my Cherry Head's about the same way as Mike Tylor (two posts up). Hatchlings, especially, don't seem to like the bright lights. I had mine in a 95 gal. planted vivarium, with a long tube 5.0 UVB in the middle and a 100 wt. CHE on each side. Plenty of humidity, but not wet substrate, as they are prone to shell rot. A good place for great information is http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/. I have an article in there on planted vivariums, and what plants are good to use, if you're interested. Good luck with your new baby. Vickie's Cherries are some of the best.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

terryo said:
I raised my Cherry Head's about the same way as Mike Tylor (two posts up). Hatchlings, especially, don't seem to like the bright lights. I had mine in a 95 gal. planted vivarium, with a long tube 5.0 UVB in the middle and a 100 wt. CHE on each side. Plenty of humidity, but not wet substrate, as they are prone to shell rot. A good place for great information is http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/. I have an article in there on planted vivariums, and what plants are good to use, if you're interested. Good luck with your new baby. Vickie's Cherries are some of the best.

Thanks for that post makes me fell like I'm doing fine with my tortoises and advice.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Your best bet would be an Arcadia T5 tube, pretty much the best lighting available on the market if you look at the stats.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
RedfootMom- i have the same question! I just got my cherryhead baby last week from Reptilestogo.com. I got my ceramic heater, and it stays a constant 80 degrees, but I am having a problem keeping the humidity up. I also dont know what bulb to use for uvb. Have you bought one yet?
Thanks,
Jennifer

TommyZ

5 Year Member

jdelagarza001 said:
RedfootMom- i have the same question! I just got my cherryhead baby last week from Reptilestogo.com. I got my ceramic heater, and it stays a constant 80 degrees, but I am having a problem keeping the humidity up. I also dont know what bulb to use for uvb. Have you bought one yet?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi Jen,

Get a simple sheet of plastic plexi glass from a hardware store, and lay it over your enclosure, its an inexpensive way to keep humidity up. Its how i cover my hatchlings tank and works perfectly.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Tommy- what do I do with my ceramic heater and uv light? I have my baby in a large rubbermaid container.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I've always used a Mercury Vapor Bulb for mine and kept a CHE handy if it gets too cold (not often in AZ). Other bulbs such as tube types work fine as well. It's really all personal preference. The substrate recommended by the breeder is fine. I personally like the way green moss holds up over sphagnum but they both do the job. For these torts you can use coco coir, cypress mulch, orchid bark, and top soil. I've tried them all and prefer top soil since it creates an environment like they'd have outside. Plus it stays relatively clean when you use worms or pill bugs to make it bioactive. I also recommend to all redfoot/ cherry owners to invest in a humidifier.. Makes things way easier than constantly spraying! Good luck with your little one! :)

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
Immayo---
What's a good brand/type humidifier ?
And where can I read more on the bio active method you mentioned? I'll do a search here too

Thanks!!

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
jdelagarza001 said:
Thanks,
Jennifer

Hi. I ended up buying the PowerSun 100w. It is one of the one's my RedFoot's breeder (Vicki Hale) recommended.
It is working very well.
Congrats on your new tort! I am so in love with mine!

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Thanks to all of you for the wonderful information! I love this forum!!!!! I got my humidifier and uvb today.