Rocky is growing fast, but we have a new problem

LaRue

Our little rocky is almost a pound, and seems healthy and happy. But we have a new problem with his enclosure. It has been in our bedroom which is by a outside door. With the high humdity it has become a haven for every little critter that sneaks in that door. This last time I changed the substrate, I found roaches tunneling in it. So I thought it would be ok to just put the whole enclosure in the covered patio. Of course last night it got colder then I thought, so I'm realizing this won't work. In such a humid environment I'm thinking anything under 80 degrees could lead to a respiratory infection. So does any one have their tortoise in a outdoor setup at this small size, and wouldn't mind sharing a few pictures. Or anyone have any ideas? We are in south mississippi, and yes there are bugs everywhere. And without spraying his enclosure or just not putting in any dirt, there will be bugs, especially in winter in a such a nice warm and humid spot. Oh and I'm using organic peat moss, looks like dirt.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Putting a little one outside in an indoor enclosure probably isn't a good idea unless you know you can keep temps correct, a thermostat on heating elements will help here and that no critters of the large kind can't get to him or mess with heating elements and cause a fire. Can you put him inside and set bug baits around the outside of the enclosure to catch them before they reach the inside of the enclosure?

LaRue

Here are two pics to show his setup. You can see he's under the che lamp now, but this is not well sealed. He still has a Hugh outdoor grass run. So he's only in here at night or when the weather is bad.

Attachments

• 1475243641238.jpg
    1475243641238.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 44
  • 1475243651286.jpg
    1475243651286.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 43

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you built a large (4x8 or larger) closed chamber with the lights and heating all contained inside, and insulate it well, I see no reason why he can't live on the covered porch outside. Just have a back up plan for power outages on cold nights. He's still too little to live outside full time in me opinion. Probably next year though…

About the roaches:
#1. They are harmless detrivores and they won't harm your tortoise, even if they gross you out.
#2. "Roach Motels". Glue traps. No pesticide. Roaches check in, but they don't check out. Very effective. Keep a constant supply on hand.

LaRue

If you built a large (4x8 or larger) closed chamber with the lights and heating all contained inside, and insulate it well, I see no reason why he can't live on the covered porch outside. Just have a back up plan for power outages on cold nights. He's still too little to live outside full time in me opinion. Probably next year though…

About the roaches:
#1. They are harmless detrivores and they won't harm your tortoise, even if they gross you out.
#2. "Roach Motels". Glue traps. No pesticide. Roaches check in, but they don't check out. Very effective. Keep a constant supply on hand.
Thanks for the reply. Seems like a lot to do for a year, guess roach motels sound better. Also unlike other areas our Temps can swing greatly in just a few hours. So I think he would have to be able to get out a well sealed area if the Temps got uncomfortable for him.