Road Rescue

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I took a trip out to get Sheldon some safe weeds and grass from a friend's yard that I know is untreated. On the way home I saw this large snapping turtle in the middle of the road. Did a u-turn, and picked him up by the tail and got him safely across the road. There's a large abandoned gravel pit on the other side, I believe he was headed that way. While I know he had no aspirations of becoming a speed bump, he was not very enthusiastic about my good intentions.20180513_145624.jpg20180513_145444.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
CBEA9DE4-738C-4668-B181-A12C58004D2A.png Lol this was in my yard last week. My ex texted me to see if it was our kids tortoise......ummm that’s a box turtle lol

daniellenc

Maryland
And he’s been back twice. I just keep booting him from my yard because I don’t know where he came from (woods and lakes on both sides of me) but sneaking in my yard is his thing this last week.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
He is super cool looking, I wish one would come visit me. He also looks much friendlier than the one I found in the road.
I don't think those snapping turtles are ever in a good mood! I moved one off the road many years ago...he tried to take my finger for my efforts!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I don't think those snapping turtles are ever in a good mood! I moved one off the road many years ago...he tried to take my finger for my efforts!
I agree. They are a grumpy critter. I hope to see no more in the road, because I'm always compelled to stop... But if I do I'm hoping for a painted turtle.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I took a trip out to get Sheldon some safe weeds and grass from a friend's yard that I know is untreated. On the way home I saw this large snapping turtle in the middle of the road. Did a u-turn, and picked him up by the tail and got him safely across the road. There's a large abandoned gravel pit on the other side, I believe he was headed that way. While I know he had no aspirations of becoming a speed bump, he was not very enthusiastic about my good intentions.View attachment 238429View attachment 238430
Probably a female looking for a place to nest, its that time of year.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Work at an auto parts store. Had a customer who “rescued” one by picking it up and putting it in the trunk of his car. On the way to its new home at the lake, it shredded all the wiring out of his tail lights.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Work at an auto parts store. Had a customer who “rescued” one by picking it up and putting it in the trunk of his car. On the way to its new home at the lake, it shredded all the wiring out of his tail lights.
Oh no [emoji33]

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I took a trip out to get Sheldon some safe weeds and grass from a friend's yard that I know is untreated. On the way home I saw this large snapping turtle in the middle of the road. Did a u-turn, and picked him up by the tail and got him safely across the road. There's a large abandoned gravel pit on the other side, I believe he was headed that way. While I know he had no aspirations of becoming a speed bump, he was not very enthusiastic about my good intentions.View attachment 238429View attachment 238430

It's good that you saved him, but in the future, try not to pick them up by their tails. The way their spine works you can seriously injure a turtle by holding it by the tail. This video explains how to carry them correctly:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
It's good that you saved him, but in the future, try not to pick them up by their tails. The way their spine works you can seriously injure a turtle by holding it by the tail. This video explains how to carry them correctly:
Thank you Taylor,

I honestly never knew that, he was pretty heavy and I was worried about his weight putting strain on his tail but I never knew that it could damage the spine. This is very good and useful information and I will definitely apply it in the future. I I have rescued quite a few off that road over the years. I usually just pick them up from underneath the shell, this one however was extremely aggressive and in the middle of the road. I had cars coming at me from both directions, half of them wouldn't even move over. And one group of I'm assuming teenagers shouted some things at me that are definitely not tortoise forum friendly to repeat. So this one I just quickly grabbed to get out of harms way. Thank you again for sharing that with me.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I saw one vid where the guy suggested putting a big snapper on your car mat and dragging the mat.

Alternatively one could keep a large towel in the vehicle and throw that over snappers. They will bite the towel. That won't help much if it is too heavy to lift, though.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I saw one vid where the guy suggested putting a big snapper on your car mat and dragging the mat.

Alternatively one could keep a large towel in the vehicle and throw that over snappers. They will bite the towel. That won't help much if it is too heavy to lift, though.
That sounds like a very good idea as well. Thank you for sharing.