RIP Champ bud

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's great that you're able to take her with you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sadly way too many rescues have no clue about dogs. I have seen way too many mislabeled in attitude, temperament and breed. So many think because they love dogs they know dogs and it's not true
Glad they do what they do, just wish they would educate themselves.
99% if not 100% of a dogs problem is the owner/home they came from, not the dog.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sadly way too many rescues have no clue about dogs. I have seen way too many mislabeled in attitude, temperament and breed. So many think because they love dogs they know dogs and it's not true
Glad they do what they do, just wish they would educate themselves.
99% if not 100% of a dogs problem is the owner/home they came from, not the dog.
She came from the county animal shelter which is supposed to be a No kill shelter but a lot of them say that to advertise and make themselves look good but when they can't get rid of a dog they just send it to another shelter that does euthanize then.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
She came from the county animal shelter which is supposed to be a No kill shelter but a lot of them say that to advertise and make themselves look good but when they can't get rid of a dog they just send it to another shelter that does euthanize then.
Truer words never spoken. There is no such thing as a "no kill" shelter, only those that send ones to be killed elsewhere...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Truer words never spoken. There is no such thing as a "no kill" shelter, only those that send ones to be killed elsewhere...
Actually not so true with Paws Chicago. Of course there are always a couple reasons a dog would need to be euthanized. Here is a little bit about Paws.
(PAWS Chicago provides a lifetime guarantee for every cat and dog in our program. Euthanasia is only reserved for pets who are irremediably suffering, where medical treatment cannot alleviate the condition, or for dangerous dogs who possess a threat to the public, as determined by behavior experts. Our save rate is an industry leading 98.62%, despite taking in a very high risk population of pets from the city pound. Because of the quality care administered to all of our homeless pets, surrender fees help cover the significant cost of medically caring for, sheltering and adopting out your pet.)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Actually not so true with Paws Chicago. Of course there are always a couple reasons a dog would need to be euthanized. Here is a little bit about Paws.
(PAWS Chicago provides a lifetime guarantee for every cat and dog in our program. Euthanasia is only reserved for pets who are irremediably suffering, where medical treatment cannot alleviate the condition, or for dangerous dogs who possess a threat to the public, as determined by behavior experts. Our save rate is an industry leading 98.62%, despite taking in a very high risk population of pets from the city pound. Because of the quality care administered to all of our homeless pets, surrender fees help cover the significant cost of medically caring for, sheltering and adopting out your pet.)

Yes I think there are qualifications. I remember trying to take some kittens to Treehouse in Chicago back in the day (I was a stupid student and had no rescue experience at the time). I had trapped some 8 week kittens, and they ended up going to the shelter and all were immediately euthanized. No there is no doubt that Treehouse did not euthanize other than for the reasons you describe, AND they do not have unlimited space, so its not really their fault, but I also realized they got to call themselves "no kill" whereas the city shelter did not, and treehouse got the donations as a result.

Introduction

San Antonio tx
Unfortunately I lost my best bud few weeks ago. Champ was my no nonsense road dog. Down for whatever, and home security system. He was odd dog from the get go, not at all affectionate, did not do toys or tennis balls at all, and thought he could talk and never shut up. He absolutely lived for his trip to walk around the park everyday. Rain, sleet, or Snow there was no way of getting out of a trip to the park, and he would let you know too! I gave him the best life I could and we had some great times in these past 7 years and memories I'll never forget. Fly high Champ!View attachment 360073View attachment 360074View attachment 360075View attachment 360076View attachment 360077View attachment 360078View attachment 360079View attachment 360080
Your NFT will live on forever dude!
View attachment 360086
Now i was pretty devastated because it was so suddden. Champ was always at my side. He was only 7 in great health and was not expecting facing this for at least a few years. Currently I'm not working and unable to drive and stuck at my house due to a medical reason. My only escape everyday was our walk to the park everyday which is only about 5 min away. Now I didn't even have that and found myself sitting in my house alone, nothing to do, and constantly looking over at Champs couch (Yes he had his own couch lol) and he's not there. I began to feel myself falling falling into a depression. I knew I wanted another dog when I was ready. I've always liked French bulldogs and wanted one as my next dog. But I rescue, I don't buy from breeders and the chances of finding a French bulldog at the shelter is slim to none. Against my better judgement I let a friend take me to our county animal shelter just to " Get out of the house " Well we all know how that goes. Went in and second kennel I looked in love and behold was this 8 month old sweetheart who just became available for adoption that day. Not purebred, but close enough lol. View attachment 360084
They brought her out to see me and she was so skittish and submissive she wouldn't even let me pet her and when I came close she just roll over on her back. They tried to diswade me because I told em I wanted an outgoing energetic dog. I could tell though she was like that because she was in Doggy Prison, Id be too. So.... guess yal know the end of the story. Paid her bond and we walked out together. Soon as we walked out the doors this dogs demeanor completely changed, she was so happy to be free. Look at that smile View attachment 360087View attachment 360088So I got a new buddy, "Foxy Roxy" She literally went from being scared/skittish to the most outgoing wildwoman overnight. She has fallen in love with me and does not leave my side even in the house she follows me from room to room. View attachment 360089View attachment 360090I still miss my boy Champ a lot and always will. Foxy will never replace him, but I'm looking forward to the new chapter and memories and good times we will experience. She's made me quite happy again in these past few days I'vehad her
Except this morning when I took a nap and woke up with my remote control to my TV in a million pieces!
Sorry for your loss

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes I think there are qualifications. I remember trying to take some kittens to Treehouse in Chicago back in the day (I was a stupid student and had no rescue experience at the time). I had trapped some 8 week kittens, and they ended up going to the shelter and all were immediately euthanized. No there is no doubt that Treehouse did not euthanize other than for the reasons you describe, AND they do not have unlimited space, so its not really their fault, but I also realized they got to call themselves "no kill" whereas the city shelter did not, and treehouse got the donations as a result.
Depending on how long ago that was, I think they all, no kill shelters, do much better now then they did even probably 10-15 years ago. I know the cat rescue I gave some feral kittens and mother too once trapped sure does. For kittens, they basically only take them if they can find fosters which they have many. As for the mother/adults, if they can't domesticate them, they let them go back where they were caught, once they find someone in that area that will feed and water them. After spay or neuter of course.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Depending on how long ago that was, I think they all, no kill shelters, do much better now then they did even probably 10-15 years ago. I know the cat rescue I gave some feral kittens and mother too once trapped sure does. For kittens, they basically only take them if they can find fosters which they have many. As for the mother/adults, if they can't domesticate them, they let them go back where they were caught, once they find someone in that area that will feed and water them. After spay or neuter of course.
Yes that is definitely how it is done now. This was.... thirty years ago maybe? Its all much better now, but what really irked me at the time was how much money they got in donations by advertising they were "no kill" when really they just took the easy ones, and sent the rest to the shelter who could not call themselves that.

Here in LA with the shelters the term "no kill" (or "low kill") definitely is in dispute. The town I live in - Burbank - has an excellent shelter, it really is about as good as it gets, but they can only take animals from the city limits. If someone finds a stray where Burbank is the nearest shelter, but if they say they found it outside the city limits, they will not take it. The city/county shelters - well some are better than others, but mostly its pretty awful, but nowhere near as bad as some like in Downey or Riverside, or the ones in rural areas in the south where I've heard they are so overcrowded any Owner Surrender is immediately euthlisted for lack of room, and the need the space for stray holds (and then euth when stray hold is up).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes that is definitely how it is done now. This was.... thirty years ago maybe? Its all much better now, but what really irked me at the time was how much money they got in donations by advertising they were "no kill" when really they just took the easy ones, and sent the rest to the shelter who could not call themselves that.

Here in LA with the shelters the term "no kill" (or "low kill") definitely is in dispute. The town I live in - Burbank - has an excellent shelter, it really is about as good as it gets, but they can only take animals from the city limits. If someone finds a stray where Burbank is the nearest shelter, but if they say they found it outside the city limits, they will not take it. The city/county shelters - well some are better than others, but mostly its pretty awful, but nowhere near as bad as some like in Downey or Riverside, or the ones in rural areas in the south where I've heard they are so overcrowded any Owner Surrender is immediately euthlisted for lack of room, and the need the space for stray holds (and then euth when stray hold is up).
Unfortunately there are probably more bad than good. That's why I wish they, law makers, would come up with better laws. Expensive yearly licenses for breeders, big hefty fines for anyone breeding without the license. This would help get rid of the puppy mills and backyard breeders. All dogs spayed or neutered if not sold for breeding(to licensed person/breeder) or for show.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Unfortunately there are probably more bad than good. That's why I wish they, law makers, would come up with better laws. Expensive yearly licenses for breeders, big hefty fines for anyone breeding without the license. This would help get rid of the puppy mills and backyard breeders. All dogs spayed or neutered if not sold for breeding(to licensed person/breeder) or for show.
we've officially hijacked this thread, sorry OP. As much as I 1000% agree with you (and hate hate hate puppy mills with a passion) but bigger problem is regular people not fixing their regular pets... not socially acceptable, no way to punitively enforce fixing...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey all, im back around been a little rough lately but I'm still alive. Well I quickly learned why Roxanne here was in the shelter because she's an absolute lunatic but her DNA results did come back with a little bit of velociraptor and T-Rex in her so it makes sense but she has her own one dog formula One races around the house and that includes like leaping eight feet over the coffee table or 5 ft over the chair and she does 60 MPH around the house for an hour at a time and I don't think she ever runs out of energy ever but her thing is frisbee she loves to play Frisbee and I do frisbee golf so she's pretty good at too she can jump up like six feet in the air and grab the frisbee out of the air but she is absolutely absolutely fascinated and protects the turtles it's it's so weird it's like her favorite thing a couple weeks ago one of my turtles had gotten out and Roxy was in the corner barking at me and I was like what are you barking at and I walked over there and there was my turtle on the floor she was trying to tell me the turtle was out. But I'm going to put a red dress on her on Halloween I want to go door to door when they open the door I'm going to say Roxanne you don't have to wear that dress tonight Roxanne you don't have to wear that dress tonight and get a bunch of candy.

Oh so u been doing a puppy all this time. .😉🤗 Roxy is actually beautiful. It looks to me from reading, that she IS your dog in tune with your heart. My little puppy is doing similar with the bunny he has to live with and me. Mr. Fre is also a lunatic though. Oh my garsh!!!😜 thank God he sleeps all night.🤗